ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Finesse Specific tips & techniques

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloColor Finesse Specific tips & techniques
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:28:44 pm

Just discovered the Color Finesse plugin and it is quickly becoming THE plugin I use for any color grading work I do. Would prefer to master using it than relying on plugins like MB Looks for '1 button grading'

Did a quick search, lots threads referencing it such as
and these 2 tutorials on primary and secondary CC by Andrew Devis

but I'm more interested in specific tips and techniques for color fx and grading.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Color Finesse Specific tips & techniques
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:56:50 pm

Color grading reminds me of the old Othello board game tagline: "A minute to learn, a lifetime to master."

I'll quote myself from the post you linked to:

[Walter Soyka] "If you're interested in color correction, look up the books by Steve Hullfish & Jamie Fowler, and Alexis Van Hurkman."

These authors are wonderful teachers, and there's a lot to learn from their books.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

jim bachaloRe: Color Finesse Specific tips & techniques
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:39:12 pm

Thanks Walter
I entirely relate to that and understand...EXACTLY why I want to avoid things like MBLooks for any grading...too easy and I think a LOT more you can achieve if you really master use of things like CFinesse and rgb curves, in combination with adjustment layers and blend modes.
Going thru 1 of Steve's tutorials right now...

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Color Finesse Specific tips & techniques
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:45:54 pm

To add to what Walter said, I would recommend spending some time with a colorist and "stealing" the art. It does not matter really what software/hardware he or she is using, but more the reasoning behind what they do. I know that it did me a lot of good to loose some nights working with a colorist and learning through seeing a master at work.
I remember that after the first 4 hour session I started color grading my dreams...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved