ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble Removing 3:2 Pulldown from DVD Rips

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Walstrom
Trouble Removing 3:2 Pulldown from DVD Rips
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:54:16 am

Before anyone asks, yes, what I'm doing is legal as per fair use laws and last year's amendment to the DMCA.

I'm having trouble deinterlacing videos ripped from DVDs. My process is to decrypt the DVD with DVD Decrypter, copy and paste the .VOB file I want from the DVD onto my hard drive, rename the extension from .VOB to .MPG, and import the .MPG into After Effects.

Upon selecting "Guess 3:2 Pulldown", some frames will be deinterlaced but not all of them. I don't mean a cut or other transition will occur and then it'll be interlaced again, I mean I'll have several interlaced frames then several non-interlaced frames. I can go through every phase option but I'll never find one that removes all the interlacing. I'd initially assumed this was the result of the footage being interlaced twice, but every DVD I've tried this on ends up the same way. The only solution I've come up with is to import the footage twice and apply a different pulldown removal to each one, overlay them atop each other, and make the top one visible only when the bottom one shows interlacing... which works, but is very labor intensive. I assume applying the pulldown removal, exporting the file, then reimporting it and applying another pulldown removal would also work, but I'd prefer to work with the first generation file.

Is there a neat solution?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Trouble Removing 3:2 Pulldown from DVD Rips
on Jun 28, 2011 at 11:37:27 am

i suppose it's possible that somebody burned a dvd with advanced pulldown...

if you set ae to not separate fields, drop it into a comp and step though it frame by frame, what's the cadence of interlaced ('s' frames) to progressive ('w' frames)?

i think what is more likely is that the dvd is actually 24p and the frames are already progressive, or it is 30i and it has normal interlacing. in either case, you wouldn't need to remove a pulldown.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Nicholas Walstrom
on Jun 28, 2011 at 1:12:30 pm

The DVDs are definitely 29.97i. MediaInfo tells me such and when I play them in VLC with deinterlacing set to off I see the interlacing clearly.

One shot (no cuts) of a scene from one of the DVDs has the following cadence: wsswssww. This loops for a while, which is nice to know, but doesn't match any of AE's Remove Pulldown options.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:47:01 pm

since it is such an unusual cadence and it happens with other dvd rips, it may be the ripping software.

can you step through the original dvd frame by frame and see the same cadence?

also, are any of the progressive or interlaced frame duplicates (identical to neighboring frames)?

if so then the frame rate may not be correct -- this could be an issue with the ripping software or the original burn, but you may be able to remove duplicate frames by counting the number of unique frames per second and set the comp to that frame rate.

you'd then need to render that (don't let ae separate fields, and don't render with fields), import the render and check the cadence to see if it matches up with a standard pulldown.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]