ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James DinndorfCan't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:18:24 pm

I've got one of the strangest problems that I can't figure out.

For some reason, After Effects and Sony Vegas both won't let me render MOV/quicktime files to any of my local (internal) hard drives. However, I have no problems rendering them to my external USB drive. It's only quicktime files that give me this issue. Up until now, I've just been rendering them to my external and then moving them onto my local drive(s), but it'd be nice to fix this problem.

Thanks!

-James

P.S. I've been using AE cs4 & cs5, and Sony Vegas 9 & 10. The problem occurs on all versions.

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 7:36:14 pm

All I can think of (on a Windows platform) is whether you HD is formated as FAT, as it compared to NTFS doesn't allow you to copy or create files larger than 2gb or something. So once the file becomes that size, writing to it will be .. illegal and the render will fail.

Could that be it?

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

James DinndorfRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:00:29 am

I'm on windows 7 and all of my drives are NTFS formatted, including my external. When I click render, the file doesn't even start to render, I just get an error.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:23:53 am

can you create any new file on main drive? if you opened note pad and created a new text file, could you save that?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

James DinndorfRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 1:13:18 am

Yes. I can render and save any other file on my drives. It's ONLY quicktime (.mov) files that give me trouble.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2011 at 11:26:42 am

is quicktime installed on the system?

if so, is it the latest version?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2011 at 11:59:55 am

[Kevin Camp] "is quicktime installed on the system?

if so, is it the latest version?"

-- sorry, that's obviously not the problem... you can render quicktime, just not to the main drive (...to little sleep today)

are you always trying the same codec for the mov files? maybe try another codec... lossless animation, photo-jpeg...

i've really never heard of anything like this...

i know win7 introduced a bunch of security measures to try and keep the average user from installing malware... the only thing i can think of is that win7 (or maybe some other anti-malware software) has somehow flagged quicktimes as risky files.

maybe there is a way to change the security settings to be less restrictive, or get higher user permissions, like administrator.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Madhanraj DharmarajRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:46:55 am

I am also Getting same error while render QT.

Return to posts index

Samuel WereRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Oct 25, 2012 at 12:04:18 pm

Strange! I just installed new disk in my computer and I also can't render QT to it! I still can render QT to my all other disk. I am also can render to other kind of files (like JPEG sequence) and write them to my new disk.
Help please!

Return to posts index

Rob MayburyRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:56:11 pm

Its a strange one but try renaming your volumes. Changing the name of my drives from 'Local Disk' to something else worked for me.

I'd been struggling with the exact same problem for over a year on an extrernal raid array via e-sata - I could render QT to all my local drives but not that one. Every other file type was fine.

Just installed a new local raid drive and got the same problem - re-naming the array cleared it up.

Think it's a Quicktime bug - hope it works out. Be interested to see if it clears it up for you guys..

Return to posts index

Yan RoomushRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:37:15 pm

I approve. Changing the Volume name to a different one fixes the problem.

Return to posts index

Peter MengRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Apr 17, 2015 at 11:32:32 am

I was having a similar problem where After Effects, Premiere, and Sony Vegas could not create QT files on certain drives. Thanks to Ray's tip above this is what I discovered.

It looks like QT will only write to drives with a unique name. My volumes were set up as follows (looking at Windows File Explorer)
Local Disk (C:)
New Volume (F:)
New Volume (G:)
New Volume (H:)

I could create files in C: and F: but not in G: and H:.
After changing the Volume names so they all were unique:
Local Disk (C:)
SSD Volume (F:)
Main Volume (G:)
New Volume (H:)

I could now create files on any drive.

To change the Volume name, right click on the drive and select 'rename' or bring up the properties window and rename it there.

Return to posts index

Oleg BurinskyRe: Can't render quicktime (.MOV) files to local hard drive?!
by on Jun 6, 2016 at 4:45:39 pm

In my case it was the opposite. My drive S:\ was called ProjectsSSD. I had to leave it's name blank in order for quicktime to start rendering to this drive.
Had this problem for over a year.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]