ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Premiere Pro & AE Roundtrip and Then Some

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel HallPremiere Pro & AE Roundtrip and Then Some
by on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:34:07 am

I've been cutting a project in Premiere with the intention of color-grading the final version in AE. While I go along I'll do the occasional effects shot using "Replace With After Effects Composition" then go back to Premiere and continue cutting.

The problem I'm getting is when I bring my Premiere timeline into AE to my grade, all my replaced AE comp clips are offline. The only solution I've been able to come up with is to replace each of the "missing" clips in AE manually. This negates the convenience of moving between Premiere and AE.

Anyone have any suggestions or am I just digging myself into a hole?

Samuel Hall
DP/Editor/VFX/Music
http://www.vimeo.com/samhall

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Premiere Pro & AE Roundtrip and Then Some
by on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:31:59 pm

Are you using Dynamic Link or just importing the Premiere project in AE?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Samuel HallRe: Premiere Pro & AE Roundtrip and Then Some
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 2:09:37 am

Thanks for the response Ted.

I had originally tried just copying and pasting everything on the timeline and pasting it into a comp in AE but that gave the result I wrote about above. Same with importing the project via File>Import. Normally (without using "Replace With AE Comp" on anything) that works perfectly.

I tried to import the Premiere sequence from within AE via dynamic link and I get a .prproj file that isn't usable. AE won't let me drag it into a comp and even if i could it appears to be one solid piece. All I can do do is view it as footage.

I also tried it with a different project, one without any "Replaced" clips on the timeline. That one gave me a piece of footage I could drag into a comp but that's of no use to me. I need the individual clips for grading. Is that normal?

Forgive me, I've been using AE for years but I'm new to Premiere. I should state that I'm running AE & Premiere Pro CS 5. Perhaps this is an issue CS 5.5 has addressed?

Samuel Hall
DP/Editor/VFX/Music

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Premiere Pro & AE Roundtrip and Then Some
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 8:43:34 am

What you described is what usually happens when importing Premiere to AE. So either you finish your cut and then do the FX and Grading on an "Import Premiere Project" and then render out from AE, or use the Dynamic Link and you're stuck with one long clip and you'll have to keyframe your FX and Grading, but if you change the cut you're.... well you know.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Samuel HallRe: Premiere Pro & AE Roundtrip and Then Some
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:06:37 pm

Got it. Thanks.

Samuel Hall
DP/Editor/VFX/Music

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved