ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using Light Streaks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael SmithUsing Light Streaks
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:20:18 pm

Before anything I would like to apologize for my english.

I would like to know how to make this effect( to write something with the light streak.
Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Bill WilliamsRe: Using Light Streaks
by on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:46:24 pm

If you use a light as your emitter, you can simply draw a path using the mask tool, and copy and paste the mask's path data into the lights position property.

Return to posts index

Luis O MaymiRe: Using Light Streaks
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:07:58 am

What do you want to write?. If is a text (for example "HELLO"), write the text > right click on the text layer > select "Create Mask from Text". This will give you a mask for each letter so you will need to duplicate the light emitter according to your text (for example in HELLO you will need 5 light emitters). Then do as Bill recommended, copy and paste the light path data into the light position property.
Note: If you are using Particle World you need to make an expression to link the X, Y and Z values with the lights position. Andrew Kramer discuss how to do this in the tutorial 3D Stroke Effect in Video
The expression will look something like this

x=thisComp.layer("Light 1").transform.position[0]-thisComp.height/2;x/thisComp.width

The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing.

Return to posts index

Michael SmithRe: Using Light Streaks
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:34:16 pm

Thank you very much to both of you, with your tips I was able to do the light streaks write something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved