ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Un-parenting keeping movement info

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
miguel jaraUn-parenting keeping movement info
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:03:02 pm

Hi All,

I have two layers, one parent for the another one, The parent one have an extensive movement trajectory in the space and so the "son" layer. The problem I have is that I have to make independent (unparent) the "son" layer but I need to keep the movement info that it has being the "son" of the another layer. How could I make it in a simple way?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: Un-parenting keeping movement info
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:17:53 pm

I happen to be working on this same issue I found some posts on it already.

The idea is to basically split the layer where you want to unparent it at. You can do it for effects too via instances using a script listed in other topic posts.

If you want a slightly more dynamic way I made an expression that allows you to do this based on setting a specific frame to stop following at via a effect slider.

The idea is that it follows the position(position and rotation in my example) or whatever ever value you set until it gets to the frame you want it to stop at. Then it keeps that value for the rest of the comp. This script only works once but you could create a series of statements to work multiple times or do it with loops I suppose.

I haven't tested it yet in my actual project yet but I plan to use it or use the split method.

Hope this helps

followerItem = transform.position
FrameVal = effect("Frame Value")("Slider");
TimeStopVal = framesToTime(FrameVal, fps = 1.0 / thisComp.frameDuration)
currentFrame = timeToFrames(t = time + thisComp.displayStartTime, fps = 1.0 / thisComp.frameDuration, isDuration = false);

if(currentFrame <=FrameVal ){
followerItem= followItem;

followerItem = followItem.valueAtTime(TimeStopVal)

} - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

miguel jaraRe: Un-parenting keeping movement info
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 1:59:47 pm

I haven't see the prevous post!! THANKS a lot, I will try what you tell me.

I must have problems with my email...

My best,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved