ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Dynamic Lighting Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel OwenDynamic Lighting Animation
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:50:57 am

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to create a 3D logo animation. Essentially it's for caving movies as an intro.

The logo I already have finished (photoshop PDS) is a logo of which part of the logo (inside one of the letters) is a small man in caving gear.

I'd also like to use the logo for some short films but want to animate it.

The idea I have is that the small figure crawls to his position in the logo. Not a huge problem, i guess flash would be the easiest way of doing this. (It's just a silhouette so no details).

However, I'd like to have his headtorch casting shadows off the letters in the logo as he crawls along. What's the most effective way of creating a dynamic lighting animation? (I'd just use 2d, 3d as well would be too much of headache) Is there a efficient way of doing this with aftereffects? Would I need any plug-ins to create a dynamic light source? (something by red-giant seems likely :P)

Any help or advice would be great

Thank you

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Dynamic Lighting Animation
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:20:38 am

You can animate in AE using the Puppet Tool, no need for Flash.
As far as the lights and shadows is hard to be specific unless we see an image, but you can do a 2.5 d comp of the logo, with a after effects Light and enable cast shadows on the 3d layers. It can be simulated with several plugins- I would recommend Real Shadows - Image Lounge or The Shadow effect from Warp 1.1, both from Red Giant.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved