ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Card Dance / AE CS4 / 16-bit project render problem...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Walker
Card Dance / AE CS4 / 16-bit project render problem...
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:00:04 pm

So, running AE CS4 on a 32-bit Windows XP system, and same on another Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system and I'm getting the same problem. I'm encountering an odd rendering issue w/ a project I originally set up as 8-bit 1080 23.976 using the Card Dance effect to create one of those splendid 'exploding mosaic of pictures' moments in an animation. All was well, doing refinements/retimes/iterations, until...

I switched the project over to 16-bit to alleviate banding in the soft lighting effects and gradient backgrounds of my composite. Now, suddenly, the Card Dance layer's animation renders with a judder all across the various tiles, making them pop forward/back in Z-space, almost like a time-shuffle of their animation. Weird. Switching the project back to 8-bit and re-rendering makes the issue go away, btw. I checked, and have tried rendering w/ and w/out OpenGL turned on, and there's no other filter on the layer, nor does it have 'continuously rasterize/collapse tranformations' turned on.

My only idea is to see if it will render on my Win7 64-bit in AE CS5 alright. Maybe I've just hit a bug in mixing all those 'bits'? :) Any ideas!?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Card Dance / AE CS4 / 16-bit project render problem...
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:22:56 pm

You could certainly try it on the newer suite and see what happens.
Also, you could render the background separately from the card dance and comp them together.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Shane Walker
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:17:29 pm

That is a decent work-around. Beats rendering the entire comp out in 8-bit, which I had done, then dissolving between the two at the most opportune edit point.

Still--as a matter of principle, I'd love to know where exactly the bug resides, if only to know how to avoid this particular pitfall in the future, y'know?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:23:25 am

You could do a test and start a project from scratch in 16 bit to see if it acts the same way- it will help narrow the issue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Shane Walker
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:36:18 pm

Ted! You sly dog you...what a concise logical step. I also was going to load up the project under AE CS4 Mac and render a test, just to see if OS/drivers were somehow part of the prob. Pays to dual-boot I guess!

Good to cross paths w/ you again in 'the Matrix.' ;)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:50:17 am

I just had to post something to cause a response- good to see you around!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]