ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make a sunny day into rain

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sheena QuintyneMake a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:28:34 pm

So, rite now I'm working on a video, where the client wants a day that was shot on a sunny day turn into a rainy day. Im having a really hard time with this, being that there's sunlight casted on the 2 actors, its outside with trees, so a clean mask of the sky is close to impossible, and even if i do find the right tutorial, the actors' hair and clothes wont look or get wet. But I'll still take the tutorial if I can find it. I'm only finding videos of people who have successfully executed the tutorial, like this:

but no how to's.

Plz help

Thx

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Make a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:01:15 pm

I can't see the example you've posted due to restrictions on the network where I work but for sky replacement you could look at this [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sheena QuintyneRe: Make a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:04:50 pm

I'll check out the link, thanks! The link I posted was someone who was able to take boats at a dock on a sunny day and successfully made the same footage look bleak and rainy.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Make a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:08:54 pm

You could ask the video's creator for his technique.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Make a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:58:01 pm

[Sheena Quintyne] "The link I posted was someone who was able to take boats at a dock on a sunny day..."

Yes, but it was a sunny day CLOSE TO DUSK. That's important.

You will note in the before shot, there are no clearly-defined shadows in the foreground. The boats and the dock are in shadow due to the very low angle of the sun near the end of the day. The background is so far distant that any shadows don't matter. Thus, a sunny, windy day can be made to look like a stormy, windy day. There are no telltale shadows.

This clip was made either to show of the artist's skills, taking advantage of the nature of the shot, or it was planned to shoot at that time.

Your shot apparently contains subjects in full sunlight, with shadows caused by full sunlight. You won't be able to work around them. Your client may think you can work AE magic, but to do what you seek requires PLANNING AN EFFECTS SHOT. And your client didn't tell you about this until the shot was in the can.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be able to make a convincing full-sunlight-to-rainy-day effect without spending more time (and the client's money) than the schedule (and budget) allows. And I must also -- for the client's benefit rather than yours -- invoke the following:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sheena QuintyneRe: Make a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:23:05 pm

@ Dave I did get some helpful tips from the previous posters, so I'm definitely looking forward to utilizing those. Also, in the event that I didn't make this point clear, I did not shoot this footage. Therefore, I do not use post as a crutch. Had I shot it, trust I would've executed it a little better and with a lot more thought.

Thx

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Make a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:05:46 pm

As a comparative newcomer to the COW, you should know that this forum in particular fields a lot of newcomer questions along the lines of, "I just got an HDV Flipcam and a copy of CS5. How would I make The Lord Of The Rings?"

Good luck with your project; it sounds like you know what you're up against. You may find it quite lucrative, albeit time-consuming. Those shadows will be the killer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Make a sunny day into rain
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:28:46 pm

Couple of tuts:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/q/rain/

Part 1 of 3 part series at the Cow:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/Weather_1.php

You aren't going to get the actors hair wet or anything. If you want that, reshoot and get a sprinkler.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]