ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronson Hoover
tracking
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:35:53 pm

I've posted on the Mocha site and gotten some help ... but I'm beginning to think I need a workaround.

I'm trying to insert text onto a road surface. The trick is - the road is coming towards me.

This is the video:
http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video-11637799-hd-slow-motion-driving-in-t...

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? How can I get the text to have the correct perspective while it's coming at me? I've been playing with mocha (and watching tutorials) for hours.

Oh - and this project is due today. :)

Thanks

++bronson

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: tracking
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:43:13 pm

A lot depends on how much text are you going to have on the road. If the text doesn't appear connected across the length of the road then things are a lot easier.

A 4-point (corner-pin track) will be required for you to capture perspective and transform changes in the tracked region.

I'm not sure which tutorials you've seen but do take a look at tutorials that cover Unlinked Tracking and Align Surfaces as these will be integral to you completing the job efficiently.

Unlinked Tracking isn't absolutely crucial but it will allow you to track the road once and then link other Mocha Layers to the unlinked track as and when you need new areas along the road with which to embed your text.

Align Surfaces will come in handy should you want to apply text on parts of the road that winds and turns. Without Align Surfaces, it will be a lot of work getting the text size and curvature to match with the road.

With Align Surfaces, you can create your text on a single frame of the video; using the Text Tool's Path Option. Then paste the tracked data from Mocha.

TIPs> Before applying Align Surfaces in Mocha, duplicate the layer so that you have a copy of the tracked layer that isn't aligned - just so that you have a copy as backup. Secondly, ensure that you take note of the single frame where you created the text. This will be the same frame with which you apply Align Surfaces in Mocha and which you will paste the Mocha data into AE.

It's going to be a tricky track if you're not comfortable with the toolset.

Good Luck!
RoRK

Intensive AE Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:58:23 pm

Just had another look at the video and I realised that you will have a hard time if the text appears further away from the front of the camera. You're best bet is to only have the text appear when it is close to the bottom of the shot. This will of course preclude a continuous line of text.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Bronson Hoover
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:53:54 pm

Thanks Roland. I've officially given up on this concept. I've wasted too many hours so far.

I did get a call from Mary at Imagineer. She was great but after experimenting with all of her suggestions, I was unable to get a clean result. I would think this would be a great tutorial for someone to write.

Thanks for the help.

++bronson

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:04:40 pm

Like I said, it's a tricky shot especially if the text has to appear a distance away from the bottom of the screen. You would have to animate the Text Tool's path (mask path) along the winding road as this isn't something Mocha or any other tracker will allow you to do on their own.

I suggest that you work with simpler tracks to get acquainted with the toolset and of course go through all of Imagineer's tutorials. It's all about practice and knowing when to use the right tool for the job. It is also essential to know the limits of the software and one's skillset before embarking on any visualFX shot. This isn't meant as a smart-ass statement cos we've all been through these type of moments.

Bestest!
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]