ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text Animation brush-like

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix GrossText Animation brush-like
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 1:40:39 pm

Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble with animating a text heading. I am using the font "Face your Fears" and what I want to do is to make it look like the "Shogun" - Text-Animation of the following video at 6.13

I tried the approach of the VCP "graffiti writing" tutorial #33, but because of the grungy font, that doesn't look really clean. Another approach, that I tried was to just animate a mask for every single letter. But it took me ages to create a mask that is not even close as flawless as the animation in the "Shogn" video.

I am willing to exchange the font, but I kinda need it to look close to the "Shogun" or "Face your Fears" font.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Text Animation brush-like
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:30:35 pm

This is a tedious effort but it shouldn't be taking you ages. Perhaps a rethink on how you're going about creating the various shapes.

I will look at using Write-on as it supports variable brush sizes across a single instance of its use.

Different characters will require a different number of masks. Using the Shogun text in the example video, the letter "G" will require 2 strokes. The first stroke will cover the top and extend around the entire curved area of the "G". The second stroke will be the horizontal line running across the "G".

If I were to do this, I would create the required masks (single lines, open mask shapes) delineating the shape of the two required strokes and paste these, independently, onto two different solids (each to be used as a track matte for the actual text).

The next step is to copy each mask shape and paste them into each solid's instance of Write-on. TIP> Set Write-on's Brush Time Properties to Size, to allow for a varying brush size.

Intensive AE Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Felix GrossRe: Text Animation brush-like
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:20:11 am

thanks for the quick reply. I will try out your tipps and I will post how I finally realized it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved