ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

lip sync optimal framerate?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tolis voskopouloslip sync optimal framerate?
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 12:47:56 pm

hello there.
i am making a character animation in after effects.the question is about the lip sync.I know how to do it but i would like to know if there is a standard optimal way to achieve better results.
for example:(i use precompose and time remaping)is there a rule that says every how many frames i should change the mouths of my character? that is what i mean optimal.should it be every 2,3,4,5 frames or more???
i understand that it also depends on the nature of the character, the way he/she speaks etc. so if there is a rule it would not be very "standard".
any way sorry if i confuse you. any help would be much apreciated
ty in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: lip sync optimal framerate?
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:51:26 pm

If people all spoke their words at precisely the same durations, you might have something. But people don't do that, nor would you want them to do that: they would lose the ability to express emotion in the spoken word.

Here's an example:
A man is given an award for 25 years of loyal service to his company. He opens an impressive-looking envelope to discover the company has awarded him several coupons to a fast-food restaurant. He responds "Wow." He's not impressed at all.
The same man takes a trip to Niagara Falls. He takes a ride on one of the tour boats that go to the base of the falls. He looks straight up 165 feet at the thousands of tons of water falling every second. He feels the mist striking him in the face. He feels the thunder of the water in his body. He responds "Wowww!" He's extremely impressed.

Which response took longer to utter, do you think? It's the same word, isn't it?

Now, if you want to be more PRECISE in your animation, I would work at 48 fps for celluloid film, 50 fps in PAL countries, and 59.94 fps in NTSC countries.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved