ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Puppet Tool on Illustrator File

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
caleb barclayPuppet Tool on Illustrator File
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:55:36 pm

I have a Vector Character that I made in Illustrator. When I import it to AE and add the Puppet Tool, I get a split in the character (As Shown in attached Image. I have continual rasterize button activated. I do not know what is going on.

Has anyone been able to figure this problem out?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Puppet Tool on Illustrator File
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:44:30 pm

If you don't have to scale up the illustrator file, turn off the Continuously Rasterize switch.

If you DO have to scale up the illustrator file, go back to Illustrator and make it larger so you don't have to use Continuously Rasterize.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Puppet Tool on Illustrator File
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:04:23 pm

Yes, as Dave says, scale (or position) changes in a continuously rasterized layer with the puppet tool can do odd things. From this page [link]:
Note: Don’t animate the position or scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different from the render order for raster layers. You can precompose the shape layer and use the Puppet tools on the precomposition layer, or you can use the Puppet tools to transform the shapes within the layer. (See Render order and collapsing transformations and Continuously rasterize a layer containing vector graphics.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

caleb barclayRe: Puppet Tool on Illustrator File
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:36:19 pm

I have been messing around with it a lot and still can not figure out what is wrong:

I have not scaled it, or used "Continuous Rasterize" button. It seems that whenever I use a camera movement, it slices the vector and produces those "Glitches".

I have tried importing it to Pshop and then AE, I have turned the 3d switch off, and done everything I can think of. Is there any other ideas or resources that I could use to get this fixed?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Fadi BaqiRe: Puppet Tool on Illustrator File
by on Nov 16, 2012 at 10:25:00 pm

This problem seems like the result of some sort of change to the layer after the puppet tool has autotraced the shape. The differences result in the aforementioned "glitches". The only way to overcome this is to remove the puppet effect and start over again or retrace it.

Return to posts index

Aaron LudwigRe: Puppet Tool on Illustrator File
by on Apr 10, 2014 at 9:24:22 pm

Also-- you can try increasing the number of triangles (Effects>Puppet>Mesh 1>Triangles). That removed a split vector for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved