ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making one side of a square "squiggle" like animated ocean water

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian SitesMaking one side of a square "squiggle" like animated ocean water
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:28:49 pm

Hello,

I'm a novice CS4 enthusiast looking for a way to make one side of a rectangular solid squiggle like a moving sine wave (aka like the surface of water, viewed from the side). I have a sense that perhaps expressions could do this somehow, but I've looked at some expressions stuff and don't know if I'm on the right track.

Alternatively, this is why I'm asking so if folks have an idea on how to do this instead that's equally helpful: I have footage of folks standing under a tent and I would like to have a rising flood cover the screen (from bottom up to top), then have them continue to be under the tent but now under the rising water. The goal is to look cheesy, with animated fish, etc., that then swim by.

I was thinking I'd just make a solid with light blue water, make it mostly transparent and start it below the screen, then just move it up from off screen up to the top of the screen (like rising water). But as it rises, I'd like the top edge of the solid to look like rolling, animated ocean/fish tank water.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to make the rising water!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Making one side of a square "squiggle" like animated ocean water
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:46:56 pm

One way to do it is to use the Mesh Warp under Distort. You can animate only the top points of the mesh to create the wavy look you're after.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]