ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

h.264 AVI import to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Balin Aguirreh.264 AVI import to AE
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:35:23 pm

I just bought a Camileo x100 that imports video in h.264 AVI.
When I import this to AE, it shows the file, but no display of audio or video when previewed or in the timeline.
How may this be resolved?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: h.264 AVI import to AE
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:56:18 pm

If you have AE 9 (aka CS4) or an earlier version, the following may very well be the source of your problem:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Balin AguirreRe: h.264 AVI import to AE
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:36:48 pm

I just downloaded the trial of CS5.5. Sadly, I only have a pc, Thank you for helping me understand why this happened, but what should I do to fix it? What CS5.5 came with included Adobe Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:59:56 pm

[Balin Aguirre] "I just downloaded the trial of CS5.5."

Then it doesn't affect you.

I have the feeling you're trying to use AE for the first time, and you're not familiar with the application. You should start here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:08:06 pm

You're right I am new at this. I have been reading and watching as much as I can about after effects. I took your advice and used Encoder to make alternative file types. When presented in Device central I hear the audio, but all that shows is a black screen. Granted that was just one program ustilizing multiple files, so I tried to import those files on AE only for them to play, nothing but a black screen.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:18:57 pm

It's difficult to say what went wrong: you aren't even sure what you did. You should understand that AE contains a wealth of ways to frustrate the newcomer because there tiny, yet important things seemingly hidden throughout the interface.

That's why it's important to begin at the beginning.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:23:03 pm

I am starting out at the beginning. I'm at importing information. That's as beginning as I can imagine. haheh.
I know what I did, I used Encoder to transform one AVI file into multiple files as: MPEG2 MPEG4 FLV F4V Uncompressed AVI, and quicktime. none seem to display video, while some display a black screen, and just audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]