ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Weird camera movement behaviour

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janne LaihoWeird camera movement behaviour
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:58:32 pm

I run into a weird problem. I have a composition with a camera and 3D objects. I move the camera from one position to the next over one frame (as in mimicking cuts in a film); so I have keyframed point of interest and position. The camera should move instantly from position 1 to position 2, over one frame. However, it moves over two frames, i.e. there is a two-step movement that the camera makes.

This two-step movement results in strange artifacting of 3D objects when the camera is in between position 1 and position 2 (i.e. where it shouldn't be at all): 3D text is rendered as if there were multiple copies of the layers near one another.

I have tried changing keyframe interpolation to linear, no help.

The weirdest thing is that in previous versions of the same project this problem didn't occur. Unfortunately I can't recall all of the many changes I've made between versions, but I checked that the camera and its keyframes are identical in the working and non-working versions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bill WilliamsRe: Weird camera movement behaviour
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:02:06 pm

Hmmm... Couldn't you just create a new camera at the second position?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Weird camera movement behaviour
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:09:09 pm

Hold keyframes?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Weird camera movement behaviour
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:24:43 pm

I'm with Brian: use Hold keyframes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian SitesRe: Weird camera movement behaviour
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:21:18 pm

I haven't experienced your exact problem, but I have run into strange behavior moving cameras in 3D environments. One trick I found (I think from this forum) was to attach (I think parent?) the camera to a null object and move the null object, not the camera (though the camera follows the null object). For reasons I don't understand that resolved various strange camera behavior and artifacts between key frames. I'm just a novice, but perhaps this is helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved