ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shapes and Masks change when they are exported

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie KindingerShapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 12:55:38 pm

I have a composition that is a series of shapes and masks that make up lower thirds to be inserted into video projects. They look perfect when I am working in the after effects project and there are no cameras involved. However, every time I go to export the composition some of the shapes and masks shift. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Return to posts index

Steve RenardRe: Shapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:34:57 pm

What do you mean when you say "export the composition"? Do you mean rendering it? Or bringing some part of the comp into another program somehow?

Return to posts index

Julie KindingerRe: Shapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:42:18 pm

I'm sorry I do mean rendering. I put the composition into the render queue.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Shapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 1:17:36 am

How do they shift? Screenshots might help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:51:04 pm

I have attached a few screen shots that demonstrate how the layers are changing but how they also look correct in after effects prior to rendering in the render queue. Thanks for any advice or help that you can provide. I put a red background behind the lower third to help show the shift.

a href='http://i1.creativecow.net/u/206025/screenshotlowerthirdinae.jpg'>

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:32:20 pm

Why are you using 3D layers? I don't see any particular reason for using them, and they only make things more complicated.

If that globe's made using CC Sphere, you need to know that CC Sphere is NOT a 3D effect: it's a 2D effect that only appears to be 3D. If you made all the layers 3D because of that globe, don't worry: you won't mess things up by making it a 2D layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:36:37 pm

Thanks I will try changing them to 2D layers. The main reason that they were 3D is for other effects that we added later with text and our logo.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:08:37 pm

Changing them to 2D layers helped with the masks shifting, however as you can see in the screen grab the globe is still not rendering with all the applied effects. Thoughts and suggestions?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Shapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:57:07 pm

Why are you previewing through the Front view?

The final output is rendered through the active camera, so you should be previewing through the Active Camera view if you want to see what the final output is going to look like.

See this page for information about 3D views.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:57:18 pm

Scale up the globe layer

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RenardRe: Shapes and Masks change when they are exported
by on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:17:50 pm

It's not clear from this screen grab what the globe should look like, and what you're looking at in AE that's different. I know you posted a grab of it before but it's still a bit ambiguous on this end.

It would be helpful, too, if you could post a screen grab from within AE with at least the FX visible for each layer so we can see what's going on. I can see that the scale isn't working, but it does appear that some effects aren't hitting that layer either.

And as either Todd or Dave said, always preview in "Active Camera" so that you know what you're looking at.

------------
Steve Renard
Media Director, Cicada Design Inc.
and Freelance Know-it-all
647-406-7991
srenard@cicadadesign.ca
http://www.cicadadesign.ca

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:00:56 pm

I will work on getting those requested screen grabs, but there are no cameras involved in the composition and when I switch to active camera it does not change anything. Everything still looks correct in AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]