ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Light Through Holes in Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew ReevesLight Through Holes in Layers
by on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:20:20 am

I'm trying to create a look where a logo (A black rectangle with the text removed, so transparent in photoshop). The logo is not a single layer but cut into seven sections, each is its own animated layer in after effects.

I am looking to have each segment of the logo fly backwards in z space towards a large source in the centre of the frame and far back in z. As they fly backwards i'd like to have light shine through the logo segments, as they become further back in z and the segments of the logo come together the angle of each light shaft will change with perspective.

The problem I'm having is with Trapcode shine, I can apply the effect to each segment, but then the light ray perspective does not change as they move closer to the "source". Another problem is that as the layers overlap, the light which shines through each cut out section of lettering should change.

Is it possible to achieve the effect I am after in AA and Shine or should I use 3d software?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Light Through Holes in Layers
by on Jun 18, 2011 at 9:05:25 am

If I understand correctly what you're after, I would try to use a AE light in 3D space and Trapcode Lux.
Just to be clear- is there a single light source or does each piece have it's own internal light source?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved