ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rescaling "Wall of Photos" in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris KingRescaling "Wall of Photos" in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:36:30 pm

Hi all, so here is the situation:

Our AE artist created a 3D "wall of photos" out of about two hundred hi-res photographs (3000+ pixels across generally). The photos had to be scaled down in the project to about 20% their original size.

For the shot, the camera basically starts close to the wall and then pulls back to reveal the entire wall, and each photo is tiled neatly beside the other with no spaces between.

Due to some render issues and crashes we decided to duplicate the folder of the original photo files and lower the quality of every photo of the new folder in photoshop as well as scale them down by 50% and relink the After Effects project to these smaller photos. Now of course there are black gaps in between all the photos because their reference files are scaled down.

And here's where I hit the problem.

It would seem that in order to get the photos in the Wall to return to their normal sizes, leaving no more black spaces in between the tiles, I should only have to double their scales in AE, But as I've started doing that, one by one, the photos are expanding to much much larger sizes than they should be and are starting to overlap each other.

Am I missing some mathematical point in these calculations? Does doubling their scale in AE really increase the size exponentially somehow?

Any help appreciated. Thanks all

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris KingRe: Rescaling "Wall of Photos" in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:52:02 pm

Solved it! Apparently doubling the scale of each photo in AE is exactly the way to do it---I was getting confused because a lot of our photos are still offline and the placeholder icon being displayed for each of them were the color bars referencing the old large photos, so doubling their sizes was making them enormous. But once relinked they shrunk to the correct size.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Rescaling "Wall of Photos" in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:20:54 pm

For future projects of this kind and less headaches I recommend using Plane Space from Red Giant.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris KingRe: Rescaling "Wall of Photos" in After Effects
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:25:52 pm

Wow thanks Ted, that plugin looks awesome. Definitely going to remember it. Best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]