ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how's that template workin' out for ya?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Fleminghow's that template workin' out for ya?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:22:48 pm

OK, so I bought a few AE templates that looked pretty cool online and were more involved than I wanted to build personally. Naturally, I ran into problems. I won't name names yet, but I will in the event that they don't solve the issue. In the meantime, I'm asking for help...

The issue is that the artist used the motion tile effect on several masked solids and mis-used them, because I'm getting the good old "Motion Tile cannot allocate a buffer larger than 30000 pixels in either dimension" error in some parts.

I read a few threads about duplicating either the layer or the effect (I don't know which), but I'm stumped on the execution of this. The effect itself is on a precomp which is comprised of a masked solid and three images. I'm working on CS4 at 1080 HD resolution.

Thanks in advance for any help, and yes, I will issue a "buyer beware" post if this issue is not resolved from the vendor. Especially since I believe they've advertised their products on the COW before.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: how's that template workin' out for ya?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:54:38 pm

[Dave Fleming] "...I'm getting the good old "Motion Tile cannot allocate a buffer larger than 30000 pixels in either dimension" error in some parts..."

I don't have AE's precise image size limits memorized, but that really stinkin' big! I can only think of a couple of actions that might help:
if you're trying to use multiprocessing with 8GB RAM or less, turn it off.
Turn off Motion tile, and see how badly it's needed. You might be able to tweak the settings to reduce that image buffer size.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave FlemingRe: how's that template workin' out for ya?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:04:11 pm

Thanks for the reply--yes, I've tried those already...the issue isn't tied up in RAM, it has to do with hitting a size limit of 30000 pixels. If I back down the value on the motion tile, I lose information as there's a fair amount of position keyframing going on in the precomp.

I've tried removing the motion tile altogether and just increasing the size of the solid, but again, I run out of real estate at 30000 pixels--any solid with a width larger than that gives me an error.

Here's a post from a few weeks ago that deals with it...I just need some more information down this path:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/202/891259

Probably some poor schmo who bought the same template I did...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: how's that template workin' out for ya?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:05:03 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I don't have AE's precise image size limits memorized, but that really stinkin' big!"

I do -- 30,000 px in either dimension. (A 30,000 x 30,000 @ 8bpc image buffer requires approximately 3.5 GB of RAM for a single frame.)

Mr. Fleming, unless you've changed anything, this project should never have rendered on anyone's system.

Perhaps you've added an element or a blur or something that's pushing this up over its maximum size?

Otherwise, as Dave suggested, maybe you can pull back on the Motion Tile output size. Otherwise, the suggest to duplicate the layer that you've seen elsewhere is meant to replace the usage of Motion Tile. Instead of using the Motion Tile effect to automatically repeat an image for you, you can manually place multiple copies of the layer in 2D or 3D space.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave FlemingRe: how's that template workin' out for ya?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:09:50 pm

Thanks for the response, Walter. You're right, the effect is impossible in anything other than a RAM preview situation. The vendor has admitted that and I'm waiting to see if things will be rectified or not.

Thanks for the further expalnation on the layer dupication. I will give that a try.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: how's that template workin' out for ya?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:20:02 pm

[Dave Fleming] "You're right, the effect is impossible in anything other than a RAM preview situation."

It should be impossible in RAM preview, too, if you are rendering at full resolution. It should work if you render or preview at half-res or lower.

It's pretty disgraceful that no one actually tried RENDERING this template before selling it. I admire your restraint in giving the vendor a chance to fix it with anonymity.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: how's that template workin' out for ya?
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:23:28 pm

[Dave Fleming] "...the effect is impossible in anything other than a RAM preview situation. The vendor has admitted that..."

That's what I call outstanding quality control: do a RAM Preview, but forget the test render. Doesn't exactly engender a world of trust in these guys, does it?

Sorry to hear you got hosed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]