ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Area graph with multiple components

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tubbsArea graph with multiple components
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:46:55 pm

Hello all-

Looking to animate an area graph as time passes to explain the changes in company revenue over time.

IOW- say my company has four revenue streams that contribue to the top line of revenue. Three have tanked in the ressesion, but one is going gangbusters, and I want to illustrate the change in revenue composition.

I can animate an area graph with only one input for the X- but now I have four X values on the same graph. Suggestions?Edit: here's an example of the style of chart:

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Area graph with multiple components
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:16:14 pm

The link doesn't work -- it just points back to this thread.

A traditional area chart would put time on the X axis and stack revenue on the Y axis. If you're going to animate the chart to show the passage of time, the X axis (time) goes away, and you won't really have an area chart anymore -- you'll have an animated vertical stacked bar chart.

Depending on the look you're going for, I might use the data values to drive the vertical scale (or a linear wipe effect) of shape layers (anchored on the bottom center). I'd enter the data as keyframes on Slider control effects, and use a simple expression to link those values to the scale or linear wipe that affects the size of each bar. You can either write some expressions that also drive the position of each bar according the the shape immediately below it, or you can set the layers so that they are actually calculated cumulatively and all anchored on 0, then just stack them in AE.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

peter tubbsRe: Area graph with multiple components
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:19:39 pm

Thanks for the ideas- I went with multiple solids stacked upon each other, with a separate mask for the respective layer. Sometimes simple is best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved