ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Still getting Jerky export from AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Still getting Jerky export from AE
on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:22:09 pm

Exported a TGA sequence from C4D opened in AE selected RGB& Alpha in render settings and exported as a QT. When playing back the QT is has jerky playback. The sequence settings in C4D where 1280x720 at 25 fps the exact same setting were in AE.

I used QT 7 to render the same TGA image sequence and it worked fine no jerky playback. This leads me to believe its something to do with AE??

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
Re: Still getting Jerky export from AE
on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:34:26 pm

I have since opened the .aec file that was saved as part of the C4D project and then exported it via that method and the playback is fine. There is something going wrong when AE is interpreting the TGA files when they are imported as a standalone TGA sequence??

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:47:58 pm

Are you rendering interlaced (i) or progressive (p) from C4D?
The one thing I can think of is that you did not interpret the field order correctly when you rendered from AE the first time.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:36:16 pm

I always work in progressive mode in all applications.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:15:42 pm

[Marc Lucas] "Exported a TGA sequence from C4D opened in AE selected RGB& Alpha in render settings and exported as a QT. When playing back the QT is has jerky playback. The sequence settings in C4D where 1280x720 at 25 fps the exact same setting were in AE."

AE's default lossless output module generates an intermediate file that is designed for additional post-production use, not direct playback. These files are generally huge, with very high data rates, and very few computers can play them back in real time without stuttering For more, see this Adobe FAQ [link]: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at
Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:45:45 pm

But I'm not having problems playing that the problem arose when I exported a QT from AE.

I think the file size is about right each TGA was 3.7MB and the QT came out at 200MB so I don't think that is the problem. As I've mention the .aec file that was saved from C4D worked OK. I opened the .aec project file double clicked the Comp and rendered the timeline to the QT. Opposed to importing the TGA sequence from a folder on my desktop.

I have just checked when you select import TGA sequence the 'import as' function is greyed out so it is importing the sequence correctly??

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:54:44 pm

[Marc Lucas] "I opened the .aec project file double clicked the Comp and rendered the timeline to the QT. Opposed to importing the TGA sequence from a folder on my desktop."

Gotcha.

The default interpretation for an image sequence is 30 fps. After you import the TGA sequence from your desktop, select it, right-click, Interpret footage, then make sure that it's set to 25 fps. You can change this preference permanently for future imported items in the preferences.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:15:56 pm

Yes thats done the trick thankyou.

So I take it that the generated .aec file passes on the information in the file to tell AE that the original scene in C4D was indeed 25fps. Thats why it was ok when I exported the timeline using that method opposed to importing the TGA sequence from the desktop.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:23:07 pm

[Marc Lucas] "So I take it that the generated .aec file passes on the information in the file to tell AE that the original scene in C4D was indeed 25fps. Thats why it was ok when I exported the timeline using that method opposed to importing the TGA sequence from the desktop."

Exactly. I'm glad it's working for you now!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:24:55 pm

I am too!

Thanks

Return to posts index