ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carr LockwoodHow do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:50:09 pm

There is a effect in the music video copy suey by system of a down in witch one of the band members is shown and they flip the camera and come out on th other side showing another band member. How can I do a similar effect with after effects CS5

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:35:06 pm

You must think everybody on the planet has seen this video. I assure you, they haven't.
Please supply a link to it, and include the time when the effect you're talking about takes place.

And to assist us in giving advice, it's good to know the amount of experience you have with After Effects.
So how do you measure the amount of time you've spent working in the application: In years, months, weeks, days or hours?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carr LockwoodRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:20:54 pm

Ok Sorry lol
First off Here is the link:

The Effect im talking about happens at the following times:

0:51-0:53

1:22-1:25

2:49-2:53

Secondly Im 17 and im going to be a senior next year I have been working with AE for 2.5 years Photoshop 4 years And my knowledge ranges from programs like AE,PS,Cinema 4,Dream Weaver, Illustrator, Flash, iWeb,Garage Band, Blender, iMovie,Sony Vegas, Final Cut,Etc.
Very fast learner

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:45:37 pm

Thanks for the info. We get all too many people with an HDV camera and a brand-new copy of CS5 asking how to make The Lord Of The Rings.

If you're talking about those exterior shots where the camera tilts up beyond one guy, rotates at the apex and tilts down onto another guy, that looks like a practical effect: done with a camera and special camera rig, and not much else. You'll note that those shots aren't lip-synced, nor are there any motions synced to the music.

If I had to speculate, I'd say it was shot on a DSLR in its picture-taking mode, not a video mode. And I'd guess they shot at about 6fps. There was probably a special rig built to tilt, rotate and tilt. The talent simply moved slowly and the camera moved slowly.

The resulting image sequence could then be conformed to the proper frame rate, and since we're talking about really BIG still pictures, moved around as necessary to hide motion flaws and keep the framing right.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Carr LockwoodRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:22:46 pm

Thanks man is there any way to recreate this effect with just after effects not any if the camera stuff

Return to posts index

Bill WilliamsRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:00:59 am

I think it was achieved with motion control, and I doubt it was a DSLR because this video was shot before the DSLR's were out.

These guys have/had big budgets. I doubt it was shot at 6fps on a homemade rig.

Just my 2.

-vurb.tv

Return to posts index

Bill WilliamsRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:03:09 pm

vurb.tv

Return to posts index

Martin CurtisRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:45:21 am

Classic track, classic video.

I think Dave is on the right track: it's shot that way. Some of the shots use a body harness on the musician with the camera pointing back at them. The 'swing around' shots are, I think, shot using a small camera attached to a rig that moves.

Although they didn't have DSLRs doing the work then, no-one has suggested it was a "homemade rig", but a rig just the same. I don't think they had the luxury of large images to work with, but just had lots of practice and lots of people willing to stand around while they got the shots. Metal fans are up for it :-)

Something interesting to look at is what people do with the Go Pro. Like stick it on a hula

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:37:54 pm

[Martin Curtis] "Although they didn't have DSLRs doing the work then, no-one has suggested it was a "homemade rig", but a rig just the same."

That's what I get for not being a metal fan. Mozart? Brahms? WWagner? The Beatles? John Coltrane? Different story.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:11:12 pm

I guess this stuff is wY to out of my league or price range for me to do but thanks for all the help at least I know more about this stuff than prior

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: How do I do the effect shown in the music video chop suey! In after effects
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:28:34 am

Luckily Physalia Studio in Barcelona are working on their guerrilla motion control rig. I don't believe you will be able to do as advanced moves as the Chop Suey ones, but still, looks exciting!!!
Check it out:
http://www.physaliastudio.com/motion-control.html

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]