ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blue screen and highly reflective spinning object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolae CiobotaBlue screen and highly reflective spinning object
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:12:26 am

Hi
I m having problems keying out some trophies made of chrome. They are like a mirror and I wonder if anyone has a link to a tutorial on how to key out such objects?
The blue spills over the object so much.
Or do I have to rotoscope it out in Photoshope?
Many thanks for any advice

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Blue screen and highly reflective spinning object
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:12:30 pm

Keing any reflective surface is a challenge and almost impossible if the shoot was not well thought of in advance. The object needs to be far from the chroma background, with enough variety of other objects/color or black and white surfaces to eliminate any chroma reflection. Rotoscoping the object is the way to go. Mocha can help, but I would give Roto Brush a shot as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Blue screen and highly reflective spinning object
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:06:20 pm

And if you're rotoscoping [link], I would suggest shooting on white or light grey so that you don't have color in the reflections.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Blue screen and highly reflective spinning object
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:15:50 pm

Here's an idea, Michael. What do you think about this: If the OP can shoot this rotating object at a constant speed, he might be able to get away with shooting it twice: once with a blue screen to pull a key, and once against a neutral background.

Pull the blue screen key, don't worry about reflections or spill, then use it as an alpha matte for the footage against the neutral background. It does require a locked-down camera and a fast background change, but it could work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Blue screen and highly reflective spinning object
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:01:05 pm

I like it, Dave. I'll bet it'd work nicely. He just better hope he gets the rotation speed to be exactly the same. I'd also suggest, as with any chroma work, that you light it enough that you can have a fast shutter speed to minimize any motion blur and make sure there is no gain or exposure boost at all.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]