<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukasz LindellMove from pos to pos with delay
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:11:11 am

Hi, I'm trying to set up an expression doing this for me:

Camera at position 1 for 10 seconds
Move camera to position 2 for 1 second
Camera at position 2 for 10 seconds

etc. etc.

Basically, I need to do this without any key frames, is there a way to do this with expressions only?

Return to posts index

Steve RenardRe: Move from pos to pos with delay
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:52:34 pm

Yes, you could use expressions for this, but it sounds like hold keyframes would be better.

If you feel you must do it with expressions, probably a time-based if/else statement would work, or you could use a marker trigger. I'm not quite sure how to use the marker information in an expression, so here's the code for doing it on a time basis, roughly. Apply this to position property:

pos = [960, 540, -1500];
pos = [0, 0, -1500];

Remember, too, this this will only change the camera's position, not its anchor point. If you want it to stay straight, you either have to turn off the anchor point (right click on the layer and select Transform => Auto-Orient... and set it to "Off").

Really, though, unless you have some mathematical input to trigger the change in position, or something like that, I think you'll be better off with hold keyframes.

And in proof that there are about seven different ways to skin any particular AE cat, you could also just use multiple cameras - set them up in the right positions, and make sure they don't overlap. This is a little more cumbersome, though.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Move from pos to pos with delay
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:29:51 pm

Here's another vote for Hold keyframes. Unless there's an overwhelming reason not to do so, using keyframing is much easier by far than figuring out and writing expressions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Move from pos to pos with delay
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:24:19 pm

I think Lukasz wants 10 seconds of hold, 1 second of movement, then another 10 seconds of hold.

It's doable with expressions as Steve's suggested, but you'll need to add another condition between 10 and 11 seconds that uses linear() or ease() to interpolate the values in between the starting and ending positions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Move from pos to pos with delay
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:09:05 pm

What is the reason you don't want to use keyframes? Wouldn't Andrew Kramer's SureTarget work with more flexibility?

Return to posts index

Lukasz LindellRe: Move from pos to pos with delay
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:59:33 am

Thanks for all the answers!

The reason for me not to use keyframes is that I'm creating a project for someone else to work in, and that person is not deeply into AE. Therefore, I need to set up a null with all the controls so the person easily can adjust things with the slider tool.

Sure Target 2 is great, and I used it many times, but the pauses on the positions needs to be easily adjusted without going into the timeline and layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved