ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scrolling Text with Perspective?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan ForeggerScrolling Text with Perspective?
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:53:54 am

Hi all,
I'm trying to create a scrolling text effect on the side of a building. The shape of the building is oblique and I can't seem to get the perspective right.

I've tried Precomping the text, using 3D orientation, and also corner-pin - no luck. The issue is that over time during the perspective drifts. What looks good at the top of the building, doesn't work for the bottom of the building.

Are there any tools I can use to achieve this effect? Am I missing something in the logic of what I'm trying to do? Any help would be great!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Scrolling Text with Perspective?
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:15:33 pm

You can upload stills here. It might be easier for everyone to offer a solution if we had a better idea of the problem areas.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Scrolling Text with Perspective?
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:41:59 pm

It's not difficult to pull off as long as the side of the building is, in essence, a great, big plane:

Start by making a square-pixel comp that matches the rectangular shape of the side of the building: low and wide, tall and skinny, what have you. Animate the text roll in this comp. Add this comp to the main comp and use the Corner Pin effect to put the roll comp on the side of the building. If there are things in the foreground that should block this roll, you can make a solid, cut a mask and use this layer as a track matte for the roll layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Scrolling Text with Perspective?
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:17:28 pm

you can also try a camera track (Camera Tracker- The Foundry, or Boujou or Syntheyes) and then position the text in 3d on the first frame- it would help if you precomp the text and have a solid in that precomp just for positioning (kinda' like what Dave was saying).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ryan ForeggerRe: Scrolling Text with Perspective?
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:32:27 pm

Thanks guys, I'll upload a still.

I had to turn something in this morning and what I ended up doing was rasterizing the text, changing the perspective in photoshop, dropping that into a precomp that was similar in size to wall of the building and doing the scroll in that precomp.

Then I dropped that in the main comp and corner pinned it, adjusting as it went. Eventually the corner-pin got so skewed that it started clipping the pre-comp. I made it work (client approved), but wasn't happy with the results.

I'll investigate your responses.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:42:14 pm

[Ryan Foregger] "Eventually the corner-pin got so skewed that it started clipping the pre-comp"

Wait a minute: are you saying this was NOT a locked-down shot? Had that been clear from the get-go, I would have suggested another method. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ryan ForeggerRe: Scrolling Text with Perspective?
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:50:01 pm

No, the shot is locked down. I'm using corner pin to get the text in line with the perspective of the building as it scrolls from bottom to top.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:13:33 pm

In that case, I don't understand why you'd have to keep changing the corner locations on the Corner Pin. As long as you've got the text animation in a nested comp, you have just one single corner pin to deal with. Yeah, it might be a little tricky to get it to look right initially, but it should be smooth sailing from that point on.

For added realism, you can use a blend mode on the rolling text precomp; y'know, make it look like it's projected on the side of the building or something. A little blur doesn't hurt, either.

I'm still scratching my head over all those hoops you jumped through in Photoshop. It wasn't necessary. I get the feeling you might have a long background in Photoshop, and may have recently gotten into using AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Luis CosmeRe: Scrolling Text with Perspective?
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:37:54 pm

put up a screen shot

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]