ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Sand moving across Dancer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex BrandtSand moving across Dancer
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:58:28 pm

Hi, this is my first post. I am sorry if it is posted in the wrong spot. I have dancer footage and a few sample videos of sand and I'd like to almost mimic what MK12 has done in the Quantum of Solace intro. The link below shows exactly what I would like to happen. Skip to 2:22min:

I have tried using track mattes but of course the sand will stay within the silhouette of the dancer and I am stumped on how to have the sand continue off of the dancer. I have thought of tracking the dancers movement much like how 3D tracking is done in boujou but...its not quite the same...bit confused.

Thank you very much for any help.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Sand moving across Dancer
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:54:11 pm

This was most likely done using a 3d app and some complex particle systems. If anything, Particular or Form my get close. The silhouette of the dancer comes from a real dancer shot on chroma and there may be some motion capture involved as well..

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Sand moving across Dancer
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:59:23 pm

if you have trapcode's particular, you can try using a layer (the dancer silhouette) as an emitter, then create a sand-like particle system (lots of rather small particles, maybe some wind and a turbulence field).

i've seen a few text-to-sand tutorials using particular that would probably help you get started...

if you don't have particular, then you might check out some of the other text-to-sand tutorials. good ol' particle playground may be able to get similar results (and there are some text-to-sand tuts that use particle playground), but you'll also need to try and incorporate a fractal noise gradient to use with the ephemeral property to get that ripply particle cloud look.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Alex BrandtRe: Sand moving across Dancer
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:39:29 am

Thanks guys for the quick advice.

I'm actually working with trapcode form and particular in this project as well. The dancer footage I have is also footage of my own that I have keyed out. So I feel I am soo close. I definitely have run into many tutorials making sand to text or vice versa. I do have the equipment (green screen, and a canon hf21 camera) that can help in capturing actual sand. I was thinking real sand would be much better than particles even if it is trapcode particular.

If I use trapcode particular, you're right, wouldn't the particles have to be VERY small? I'd like to keep the silhouette a silhouette and not have the particles define the shape...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:52:16 am

Ah, i see. Particular just might do the job. I'll try experimenting with real sand as well.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:36:05 am

Okay, I've messed around with trapcode particular and its looking much better than I thought it was capable of. However, I am still going to use real sand keyed out from a green screen. Once I have the footage of sand, how do I "link" the footage to the footage of the dancer. Much like how trapcode particular emits particles from the dancer, I'd like to do the same with the sand footage. Any leads?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved