ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

semi sphere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Saviour Delicatasemi sphere
by on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:17:04 pm

I have created the usual planet earth using cc sphere. The effect I am after is the earth stops rotating and starts turning in the opposite way showing the inside of the solid earth (similar to cutting a solid sphere in half).
I have managed to use cc split 2 and cut the earth in half but cannot get the half solid sphere effect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: semi sphere
by on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:37:59 pm

CC Sphere is designed to show the interior or the exterior or both, but from the front only. It's not a 3D effect. By rotating the sphere, you only change which portion of the sphere you see from the front. If you turn a CC Sphere layer into a 3D layer, then rotate the layer, you can see how it looks 3D from the front only.

To do what you want, you'd have to use a 3D application, or perhaps Freeform, which now comes bundled with AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Saviour DelicataRe: semi sphere
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:10:25 pm

Thanks Dave for your quick advice. I will follow it through.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: semi sphere
by on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:38:01 pm

Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro can be used in AE to import 3D models and animate them. It can allow for some texturing and lighting as well. You would have to create the half earth and texture that in some other 3D app or maybe even using PSD.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Saviour DelicataRe: semi sphere
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:19:33 pm

Thanks for your help and advice. In view of costs i might have to look at any freeware available. If you can think of any that might do the job please let me know.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: semi sphere
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 6:51:36 pm

this tutorial sounds pretty similar to what you are doing...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved