ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Green Screen keying issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Benepe
Green Screen keying issue
on Jun 12, 2011 at 2:03:09 pm

Just got some footage to work on for a quick turn around. It was shot on Red cam and the background is an even key, however they didn't light the subject correctly so she's filled with green bounce light. Obviously when I key out the screen most of her becomes semi transparent as well. I was trying to figure out the best way to deal with it.

I tried using keylight and dispill bias on the skin, but it didn't help much. I thought that I might be able to color correct afterwords to fix it. It wasn't really working that well.

Would using something like color range keyer work better in this instance?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Green Screen keying issue
on Jun 12, 2011 at 3:54:16 pm

It sounds like you're trying to do the keying all in one pass.

In general, you need to do keying like this in three passes, as described in this chapter from Mark Christiansen's book.

Then, after you've created the mattes, you can color-correct the subject to remove the color cast from the spill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 12, 2011 at 4:52:24 pm

If what Todd recommended does not work, it may be that you need to roto, in which case Roto Brush can help, especially since you have RED footage with lots of detail.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Matt Benepe
on Jun 12, 2011 at 7:26:52 pm

So i haven't worked with Red footage before and was trying to import directly into AF to do the key. Once i got into some of the later clips I realized that I needed to go through the Red software instead. I did my color corrections and fixed the color casts, etc there and now i'm exporting to doing my key.

Thanks for the suggestions too for the future.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 12, 2011 at 7:32:55 pm

That would do it- glad you figured it out. For future reference, if you gave us more info, like importing RED straight in AE, then one of us might have caught it sooner.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]