ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Loss of resolution problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxime Marquis
Loss of resolution problem
on Jun 11, 2011 at 1:16:53 pm

Hi,

I've been asked to make post production on a video to create something similar to this one:

I received a video with no camera movements, just a static wide shot of the guy (we only see his arm) and his drawings. The client wants me to follow the drawings with an animated camera in AE.

The problem is obvious: when a zoom in (or track in) the resolution becomes crappy. I tried using the unsharp filter, it helps but it's not enough.

The original video is dvcpro hd, 720p. The output will be for the web, 360p. My comp is 640X360, which permits me to get a little bit closer without losing quality. Maybe I could use a smaller comp (320X180) and render at 640X360, would it make it look better?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Loss of resolution problem
on Jun 11, 2011 at 8:11:14 pm

If you're scaling up a pixel-based image (as opposed to a vector graphic), you're going to get pixelation. There's really no way around it. You only have a certain amount of information in those 720 vertical pixels.

If at all possible, you need to work with a higher-quality source image. If that's not possible, then you can get somewhat better results with high-quality upscaling plug-ins, but those run into limits very quickly---as they all have the same problem of needing to make up the information between the original pixels.

There are some links to some useful resources toward the bottom of this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Maxime Marquis
on Jun 11, 2011 at 9:22:53 pm

Hi Todd,

thanks for your answer. I know there's no way around the pixilation. All I want is make it the best possible, without reshooting :)

I was looking for After Effects tricks that would not need buying a plugin but maybe I can force the company I work for into spending some cash. In the link you sent me, they talk about Deemon SuperResolution, which seems to be what I need. Have you (or other people from the cow) ever tried it. I also found a plugin called video enhancer: http://www.infognition.com/

It is 40$ compared to 100$ for the toolfarm one.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Maxime Marquis
on Jun 11, 2011 at 10:35:24 pm

Another question regarding my project. Is it better to zoom in with the camera or with the scale tool? Does it give the same result or one way is better than the other (in preserving the image quality)?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 11, 2011 at 10:50:23 pm

Regarding the upscaling of footage- I used Instant HD from Magic Bullet/Red Giant with decent results, but Todd is right, there's only so much you can expect of these plugins.
As far as the zoom, if you use Scale, 120% is the most you can go before you really start noticing pixelation. If you use the camera, in my experience, the result is pretty much the same.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Maxime Marquis
on Jun 12, 2011 at 1:07:34 am

Thanks for the reply Ted. Can instant HD scale 720 footage up to 1080? If yes, that could be a solution. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 12, 2011 at 10:27:32 am

Yes, the plugin is designed to scale up to 1080, but I believe it also has a 2k preset.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Maxime Marquis
on Jun 12, 2011 at 11:58:44 am

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]