ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ssd drive and after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott novasicssd drive and after effects
by on Jun 11, 2011 at 6:19:37 am

if I were to have a 500 or 1tb ssd drive on my Mac with the OS & APPS on it... I have read that apps open amazingly fast and other nice performance gains...

here is my question.. and hours of hunting has not gotten me an answer... if I were to work on a relatively complicated AE 5 comp... 1 have 32gigs of ram... OS 10.6.7 etc AND i loaded every source file onto the same ssd drive so no files required 'leaving' the drive... would I see significant speed improvements?

Im guessing that AE needs to work with the source file on the drive and access it a lot, so that would be almost instant... rendering may not be effected... and playback is ram based i believe... im just a speed whore.. and would love to invest in that drive and simply load my current jobs onto it... on a job by job basis... copy them off to my 'normal' drives when done...

any one try this.... or have technical knowledge I dont... thanks... also... im assuming raw uncompressed quictime playback would be seemless on it... outside of AE...

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: ssd drive and after effects
by on Jun 11, 2011 at 8:23:26 pm

You can see speed improvements from SSDs in a few ways:

- If your OS runs from the SSD, booting is faster and a few other operations are faster.
- If your applications run from the SSD, startup time is faster, but very little else is. (Gaining you... what? 30 seconds?)
- If your source media is on an SSD, loading information from source files is faster.
- If your output is written to an SSD, exporting can be faster.

I recommend that if someone has an SSD, they run their OS and applicaitons from it and put source media and output files on separate fast local mechanical drives.

I've not been recommending SSDs for media drives for two reasons:
- They're hideously expensive per GB.
- They're not as reliable after multiple writes.
Both of these factors are changing as time goes on and products improve and come down in price. But for now I wouldn't store my precious source files on an SSD.

You seem to have already realized this, and you've suggested bringing the source files over to the SSD just as copies of working files. That might not be a bad idea; just consider that sometimes metadata can be written back to source files, so you might get your source files out of synch with the originals.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: ssd drive and after effects
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:36:51 pm

It's been 2 years since you posted this response. Do you still feel like the info is basically the same, or do you see any changes to how to best optimize?

Also, you mentioned that putting your OS on an SSD basically only improves booting, and apps on the SSD only improve app loading. So, I'm confused that you then recommended it. Are those the best improvements an SSD has to offer?

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Robert CarverRe: ssd drive and after effects
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 3:37:04 am

I know I'm not the original but, and SSD does drastically improve boot times, and app load times. Also a bonus specifically in AE is that AE can create the needed render or system cache files much faster on an SSD. This improves RAM previewing by giving access to the cached files faster than on a traditional hard drive.
Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved