ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

1024 x 768 video playback on ipad2?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott novasic
1024 x 768 video playback on ipad2?
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:09:43 pm

not sure where to post this... but im creating a lot of promotional content for my new website and demo reel and I made an animation custom sized to exactly the same size as the ipad2's pixel ratio...

adobe's media encoder does not have a setting for ipad2 i tried H264 and M4v which says mpeg4

the movie wont import onto the ipad... anyone have insight on this... i tried every apple ipad forum and searched. No one seems to have tried this... i just see it as another canvas to create on... and i get that it needs the compression obviously.. but why it wont take it has lost me.

im NOT talking just doing a movie and clicking the "make full screen button" im wondering about making a perfect to the pixel sized movie...

it would be cool to do for me anyway... ideas and thoughts welcome! thanks

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
http://supernovavfx.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 1024 x 768 video playback on ipad2?
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:27:02 pm

Can iPads even HANDLE HD? I thought they were 4x3 displays. Maybe they letterbox HD to 4x3.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:31:31 pm

this is not a broadcast issue... im well aware of all the trditional resolutions for broadcast...

there are devices, scoreboards and all kinds of things we create animation for... I am creating a comp in after effects that is exactly the same size as the ipad2 resolution.

I may have found the issue...

SuperNova
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:36:05 pm

[scott novasic] "im well aware of all the trditional resolutions for broadcast..."

Oh, I know you are, I was thinking about an iPad's display resolution... and aspect ratio. Glad you may have an answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:49:54 pm

sorry double post

SuperNova
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:50:24 pm

nope.. no answer... itunes advanced has a "convert to ipad' command.... but it stripped the video and converted the audio... lol.... it got even weirder here.. through home sharing... my itunes library show up and it SHOWS the file i cant import ONTO the ipad... it plays it... kinda choppy... which with proper compression should not happen... Dave... the ipad is like a computer display... aspect ratios dont really matter when creating original content specifically FOR that screen... its like making a file exactly the size of your 30 inch monitor.. there is no broadcast equivalent to THAT resolution... but you can still make a movie that size... now im not trying to do something close to that large of course, just taking my widescreen animation and adding some content below it to fill out the screen... "MAYBE" i just have to make it a 720p file and let the tablet "snap" it into shape, but I was trained to make imagery at the perfect resolution whenever possible... dont let a device interpolate it for you if you can avoid it... now im being really picky here... and not many would notice the slight quality difference... but still.... im stumped and as usual, im trying to do something no one else on the planet has attempted... that is soooooo me.... lol

SuperNova
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:58:18 pm

If you have a Mac and Final Cut Suite, I'm pretty sure Compressor has an iPad preset. Export the completed video in ProRes 422, take it into Compressor and you're good to go.

...and I erroneously used the term "letterbox" when I should have written, "adapts file's resolution to display on computer screen".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Jun 10, 2011 at 7:00:58 pm

dont have final cut pro... now that they reduced the price I should get it... is that the app Dave? you would think something called "device central" would do it... and maybe it does but im doing it wrong... thanks again... ill keep trying....

SuperNova
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 7:08:54 pm

Compressor is an application within Final Cut Suite along with FCP, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc.

If you know someone who has it, you could render / export a PNG-codec quicktime movie, sneakernet it over, turn it over to Compressor's tender ministrations, and go take your buddy out for a beer while it works. Depending on the length, it might take two beers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Jun 10, 2011 at 7:23:27 pm

LOL.. im in a cave here alone Dave... but thanks... its a 5 minute reel\movie...

SuperNova
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 7:33:33 pm

[scott novasic] "its a 5 minute reel\movie..."

Definitely two beers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 10, 2011 at 10:55:50 pm

> you would think something called "device central" would do it... and maybe it does but im doing it wrong...

Device Central provides information for setting up compositions and such, as well as emulating playback on those devices. I'm looking at Device Central CS5.5 right now, and it does have an entry for the iPad 2. I just tested a movie in its emulator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Jun 10, 2011 at 10:58:09 pm

i got that far as well... just try exporting the movie at the resolution i listed and loading it onto the ipad and having it play at THAT resolution Todd

SuperNova
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 10, 2011 at 11:06:12 pm

Ah, I see.

I don't have an iPad 2 here to test it myself.

If you think that the specs in the Device Central profile are wrong, would you mind filing a bug report?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Jun 10, 2011 at 11:22:05 pm

no time now... im moving this weekend and wont be set up again till early next week Todd... my wonder lies more with Apple... its easy to create a 1024 x 768 30fps progressive animation in After Effects... AND output it as an h264 movie... no real need for device central unless im missing something here... but STILL that movie when dragged into my itunes... then dragged onto my Ipad2 icon prompts the "nice try" message... im sure its something small... i do LOVE the concept of device central... not sure quite how to use it well... but i dont read manuals much... lol....

anyway... all other movies.. 1280x720 720x486 640x480 and itunes purchased HD movies all load and play beautifully... I just want to maximize my Ipad presentations to the max... every little creative advantage is important to me... Id like to show and position my widescreen movie in a way that leaves me a "lower thirds" type area for me to add all kinds of related animation or notes... given the tablet is more of a 4.3 ratio...

ill stay on it Todd and report anything I may find... no worries.... just gotta start packing now YUCKKKKKK

SuperNova
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]