ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best method to conform video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sterling Youngman
Best method to conform video
on Jun 10, 2011 at 4:48:05 pm

Folks,

I had a three camera shoot. Two were at 23.976 and one was at 29.97. What is the best way to conform the 29.97 to 23.976, while maintaining audio pitch?

Cheers,

Sterling

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best method to conform video
on Jun 10, 2011 at 4:58:13 pm

Before we can give you a straight answer, first things first:
  • How are you editing this 3-camera shoot? What kind of editing software are you using?
  • What kind of cameras were these? Did the 23.976 cameras shoot 23.976 actual frames per second, or did they add 3:2 pulldown, creating 29.97 video? Have you double-checked their ACTUAL frame rate yet?
  • What is the final product you are to deliver? Where will it be seen? How will it be played back?

Answer those questions and you'll get meaningful answers, not garbage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sterling Youngman
on Jun 10, 2011 at 5:25:51 pm

The editing will be done on FCP, but I want to deliver the footage to my client as 23.976. I use Premiere Pro and AE CS5.

The footage was shot on three 5DM2 cameras. I'm not sure where the video will be seen. The client works for USA Networks, but it may only end up on the web. These are interviews of celebrities.

-Sterling

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 5:42:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification. First thing to do: check with the client on delivery specs!

The H.264 out of those cameras is NOT a valid editing codec in FCP. FCP's optimum editing codec is ProRes 422.

Got a Mac? Got Final Cut Suite? You'll want to look at this:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

There's a tutorial on the COW (author unknown, perhaps it's Richard Harrington) covering frame rate conversion using AE. I don't know how good the results would be, but you could check it out: it's pretty simple, and it's free.

If the results look less than optimal, you could use ReelVisiion's Twixtor, but it's pricey.

In Final Cut Suite, Compressor also does frame rate conversion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sterling Youngman
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:00:33 pm

So far, the client is in the dark about this problem. I was hoping to resolve it before telling him. I don't know anything about FCP or Compressor. If you think it can be done easily in FCP, then I'll just hand him the footage.

I looked into Twixtor. It is pricey, and I don't think I'd use it for anything else, so I'm not inclined to buy it.

I've tried using Cineform to conform, but I'm not getting good results. David Newman (from Cineform) tells me it will do it.

Also, I found this http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/963414
but I am not sure if it will maintain audio pitch

-Sterling

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:18:54 pm

If the footage is intended to be intercut among the cameras, YOU CAN'T CONFORM. The conformed video will fall out of sync from the word go.

You're stuck: you have to do FRAME RATE CONVERSION. And that means you have to use the methods I discussed earlier.

Or just hand the editor the 30p footage and have him/her do the conversion in Compressor. Because it takes so long, you will NOT make friends.

Damn stinkin' cheap-a** DSLR's.........

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sterling Youngman
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:34:15 pm

I did record audio onto a ZOOM field recorder, so I'm not intending to actually use the camera's audio.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 10, 2011 at 9:08:13 pm

[Sterling Youngman] "Also, I found this http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/963414
but I am not sure if it will maintain audio pitch"

The goal of Kevin's suggestion in that thread is not CONFORMING the footage to 23.976 (simply interpreting the 29.97 media at 23.976, slowing it down about 20%), but CONVERTING the footage to 23.976 by looking at the motion in the the video and trying to interpolate what it would have looked like if the camera shutter were opening at different times.

Conforming would change the duration, and therefore alter the pitch; converting should maintain both.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 10, 2011 at 11:18:12 pm

Here's a page with some general information on such conversions, including instructions on using frame blending to interpolate frame information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]