ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

wmv encoding issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Bradbury
wmv encoding issue
on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:23:52 pm

I need to encode an after effects comp using a two pass variable constrained bitrate at a resolution of 1920 x 2160 pixels.

I am having problems achieving this resolution using After Effects or Media Encoder CS5.

If I render directly from After Effects, the Windows Media Options in the Output Module Settings are very limited. When I select 'Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile' in the codec drop-down I can only choose between Constant and Variable bitrate modes. I am unable to render using two passes or select an average and peak bitrate. The maximum resolution is also 2000 x 2000 pixels.

Alternatively, using Adobe Media Encoder I am able to encode using a two pass variable constrained bitrate but the frame size is still limited to 2000 x 2000 pixels.

I have created a wmv with the exact settings I require using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4, but using this software isn't an option in this case.

Any ideas?

Aaron

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: wmv encoding issue
on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:32:25 pm

[Aaron Bradbury] "I need to encode an after effects comp using a two pass variable constrained bitrate at a resolution of 1920 x 2160 pixels."

What kind of playback device is capable of playing this file and feeding the two monitors stacked vertically? If you aren't sure, you'd better find out.

The typical way to do this is to nest the 1920x2160 comp inside two 1920x1080 comps, rendering out the top & bottom.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Bradbury
on Jun 10, 2011 at 4:50:09 pm

Hi Dave,

The file is for playback in stereoscopic player on a 1920x1080 monitor. The top and bottom sections of the 1920x2160 file are overlayed in real-time by the software.

The file needs to be rendered at 1920 x 2160.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 5:11:22 pm

Doesn't Microsoft have a a free Windows Media encoder, and one that works miracles for less than $100? If you work in Windows-Land (I'm a Mac Guy), I'd be tempted to render an uncompressed AVI from AE, then use the Windows Media Encoder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Mowbray
on Jun 10, 2011 at 8:42:33 pm

I think the original poster said he can already achieve the desired output via the standalone Microsoft encoder (I imagine via an intermediary file like an uncompressed avi) but this is not suitable for his workflow as he stated.

It would be good to hear from adobe or someone in the know why there are artificial limitations on the windows media encoding in the adobe suite of products and if there are any workarounds.

The whole point of having these expensive adobe suites is that you don't have to leave them and you retain as render-less a workflow as possible which seems to be a primary objective of adobe over the past few releases with dynamic link etc. Seems a shame to fail at the last hurdle and have to use another piece of software and incur unnecessary rendering and storage.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 11, 2011 at 12:12:50 am

Most of the export constraints are for the purpose of keeping your output movies from violating one specification or another---in other words, to make your output more likely to work as expected.

This constraint does seem arbitrary, though.

I just checked with the AME folks, and the response was "I suppose that's a bug, but why would anyone ever try to use WMV for larger-than-HD sizes?"

I've filed this as a bug and asked that the arbitrary constraint be removed from the WMV exporter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Aaron Bradbury
on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:56:53 am

[Paul Mowbray] "I think the original poster said he can already achieve the desired output via the standalone Microsoft encoder (I imagine via an intermediary file like an uncompressed avi) but this is not suitable for his workflow as he stated."

Yes, this is currently my workaround for the issue but does add a significant amount of time to my workflow.

[Todd Kopriva] "I've filed this as a bug and asked that the arbitrary constraint be removed from the WMV exporter."

Thanks Todd, I wonder what the new constraints will be? I do intend to render a video at 1920x2400 and have just realised that Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 limits to 2168 vertical output. I wonder if this is due to limitations of the codec?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]