ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

dumbfounded - render question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom edwardsdumbfounded - render question
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:29:26 pm

i've been using AE 10 for about a month. i'm not a total newb to video production though -- just AE.
i have created a couple logos in AE for clients however -- so not a complete idiot.
i'm stumped on a render issue -- i'm trying to render a portion of a longer clip (the portion i'm using).
i brought a 00:01:34 clip into AE -- trimmed and set internal edit points so that i'm working with 8 seconds of it.
i need to motion track in mocha.
so... i queued up a render for a jpeg sequence but AE renders all 1:34 of the clip (leaving me with lots of black).
i tried to render it to another format figuring i missed something -- but no to what format i render, AE wants to render the entire clip -- not the selected portion.
i'm missing something -- but i'm struggling to find what exactly.

thoughts?
tks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: dumbfounded - render question
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:43:55 pm

Here's an easy way to handle it:
  • Highlight the layer in the comp.
  • Hit the i (for In-point) key; the timeline cursor goes to the layer's in-point.
  • Hit the b (for Begin) key; you've set the beginning of the Work Area.
  • Hit the o (for Out-point) key; the timeline cursor goes to the layer's out-point.
  • Hit the n (for eNd) key; you've set the end of the Work Area.
  • Now go Composition>Trim Comp to Work Area.

Poof! You now a comp as long as the piece you want, and you can render with wild abandon.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

tom edwardsRe: dumbfounded - render question
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:56:42 pm

Dave,
thank God for Iowans!
Missed the B and N commands.
Much appreciated (and fast!).
Regards
Tom
(quad city boy)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:37:38 pm

dave,
one more quick question,
once i've completed my AE composition on the selected 8 seconds, can i reset the beginning and end points to render out the entire 1:34?
or would it make sense to render the comp to a particular format -- then add it as a layer at the proper location on the timeline?
regards
tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: dumbfounded - render question
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:52:24 pm

I'd start over from scratch in a new comp at the entire duration of the clip. Then I'd go to the points in the timeline where I wanted to set new in & out points.
Instead of doing that, I'd use AE's Split Layer command. It works great on in-points, but you have to go one frame PAST the desired out point to do the split: a layer splits at the START of any given frame, not the end of it.
Once the clip has been split as desired, precomp each split layer, then use the Trim Comp to Work area trick on the individual precomps.

Done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:53:17 pm

cool. thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]