ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Exporting in .f4v

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan SpaldingExporting in .f4v
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:04:18 am

Ok so I'm in love with the f4v format, it looks better than quicktime or avi and it's like a tenth the size which is great for my limited storage. I've been exporting out of after effects in .f4v for like a year now without any problems.

In the last month suddenly exporting as f4v revealed grainy low quality footage, as I suspected it was set to 8bpc rather than the 16 I usually use. Just to be safe I set it to 32 and exported again and it looked a little better but nothing like what I was used to. So for the last month or so I've been exporting as .mov then converting it using media encoder. While this works it's also a pain in the butt and very time consuming. What's more interesting is that I have two copies of AE installed and the mysterious 8bpc change happened on both of them at about the same time. Was there some odd update that reset things to some strange default?

P.S. Does anyone know what is the best "working space" option under color settings for f4v? I've tried a couple of them and they've looked pale, bright yellow-green, low exposure, etc...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Exporting in .f4v
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:57:08 am

Exporting any compressed format (like f4v) from AE is not the best. Open the Project and choose the comp in Adobe Media Encoder and do your compression from there.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved