ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

setting directory?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Patrick
setting directory?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:56:18 pm

Sorry, one more question, and apparently a dumb one at that (sorry if it's already posted somewhere... I'll take a link to another post if available... just couldn't find the answer). Every time I go to import a file, open a new after effects project, or save a project, I have to re-navigate to the directory I want. Sometimes the directory changes, but I can't figure out how AE decides to change the directory it puts me in for these things. Is there a way to set the directory it dumps me in if I'm working solely in that directory? It's a huge pain to have to re-navigate to the same directory over and over again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: setting directory?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:05:49 pm

Set it up this way:

AE PROJECT FOLDER
........AE Project File
........Footage Folder (EVERY bit of footage you use goes in here)
................Sub Folders for footage if you want to segregate movies, stills, image sequences, etc.
........Completed Renders Folder
................Subfolders for renders (a necessity if you render image sequences)

Don't fall into the bad habit of importing footage from hither and yon. Put it in one folder. Copy it into the folder if you have to. Do it the same way every time so it becomes a habit. If you don't, you'll eventually hose yourself when you unintentionally delete a piece of footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:16:19 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Do it the same way every time so it becomes a habit."

Here's a shortcut: make a blank project folder with your entire sub-folder structure as Dave has outlined above. Duplicate the blank project folder every time you start a new project to ensure that your file structure is consistent from one project to another.

It's invaluable when you have to re-visit a project later.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:28:19 pm

Just to add to this, if you're working with multiple applications accessing the same media pool, this is even more important, especially if you're going to use FCP and AE.

Find a structure and organizational method that WORKS for you, makes sense, and is repeatable.

Also need to plan out your workflow. If you work on multiple small projects vs. just one or two large projects at a time, it can change your organizational structure a little bit. If you work on episodic stuff that reuses the same footage frequently it can slightly alter your approach as well.

Return to posts index

Eric Patrick
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:31:44 pm

Thanks for the responses, but apparently I wasn't clear in my question. My after effects projects are very well organized in file structure. I have a master folder, and within that, have folders for background elements, footage/jpeg sequences (each sequence also in its own folder), projects, renders, etc. The problem I'm having is that I may import something from my background folder and after effects will after this dump me in my background folder every time I go to import. I may be continually importing from my footage folders dozens of times, but after effects will still keep dumping me in my background folder so that each time I import, I need to re-navigate back to the footage folder. Is there a way to "tell" after effects where you want it to put you in situations like this? If I'm going to be spending all day importing from various footage folders, I would love to be able to tell after effects to start me in my master footage folder rather than just putting me in some random place (like my background folder) so that I have to navigate back to the footage folder every single time.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:41:24 pm

I use Default Folder X [link] by St. Clair Software on my Macs to quickly navigate recently- and frequently-used folders.

Buzz Folders [link] for Windows seems to have some similar functionality, but I've never used it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:52:08 pm

If you have the project's footage organized in a master folder and subfolder, which is how I do it, I find that it's handy to simply leave the master folder open. I can then twirl down subfolders and drag individual footage items directly into the AE project window. It works like a charm.

I also import all a project's available footage at the very beginning. It's a lot better than doing it piecemeal. Then I simply import newly-available items. It works fine for me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Medcraft
on Nov 19, 2015 at 1:54:39 pm

Structure I have designed

Return to posts index

Marcel Joyce
on Mar 2, 2016 at 11:08:33 am

I was having the same annoying issue now in AE CC 2014, and I found out the reason was I was importing folders.

At least in my case, AE seems to remember my last used folder as long as the last imported item was an element (footage, image, audio file...) but not when it was a whole folder.

I don't know if that helps.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]