ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

painting on source footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Patrickpainting on source footage
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:51:44 pm

I have some footage in an after effects project that I want to paint on (actually a jpeg sequence). I'm already using the footage multiple times in a comp within the project (each time with different parameters... transformation and such). Is there a way to paint the original source footage and have that translate to all the instances that the footage is used throughout the project?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: painting on source footage
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:56:10 pm

It would be nice to know what you're actually trying to accomplish in detail.
We may be able to suggest an easier method that farting around with painting.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric PatrickRe: painting on source footage
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:02:33 pm

It's an animation that I've created with pixelated characters. There's something that one character is holding that I want to paint on frame-by-frame. The problem is, I don't want to do this to one instance of the footage, then have to replace all other instances of the footage with this painted layer while maintaining their properties.

I know that you can replace a layer from something in the project window while retaining attributes, so I suppose I could precomp the footage, paint, then replace all instances with the precomp individually, but it just doesn't seem like a very elegant solution. I was hoping there was some easier way to just paint the footage and have it translate to other instances without having to manually track down and replace each one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: painting on source footage
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:36:45 pm

[Eric Patrick] "There's something that one character is holding that I want to paint on frame-by-frame."

Why? Is this "something" animated in some way? Does the character movie in some way, perhaps turning or walking, which would demand classic cel-type animation?

I'm sorry, but until you can accurately articulate what you're trying to accomplish, I'm of no help to you. Perhaps someone else will have better luck understanding what you're doing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric PatrickRe: painting on source footage
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:35:14 pm

I was trying to be as brief and simple as possible in my question without loading it down with unnecessary details, but essentially... yes, I'm doing character animation. I suppose from lack of other responses that there indeed isn't a way to paint on master footage until it becomes a layer within a comp. Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]