ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Why Does AE take so long to unload?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvin BautistaWhy Does AE take so long to unload?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:24:42 am

Please note that this isn't necessarily a rant about performance, rather I'd like to know if possible what's causing a specific phenomenon and if there's a setting I can do minimize it.

AE (CS5 and below) seems to be taking a long time to unload after closing a project (especially after a render). It can take more than a minute for the unresponsive closed window to actually disappear, and my computer is unacceptably sluggish for up to another minute after the window disappears.

It feels like AE needs the time to unload the RAM or the cache or something. I've tried turning the cache on and off, and hadn't noticed a change. The problem seems more pronounced when using multiprocessing (which I don't really use), but doesn't go away when it's disabled. Also doesn't matter if I turn it off as soon as the render is finished or hours after the render.

It's a small thing but when I'm in a big rush I need to have the computer responsive when I turn AE off (to upload the render, for example), so does anyone know if any specific setting is causing this? I'd like to be able to weigh whether turning some feature off is worth shedding minutes in the unload.

For full disclosure, my hardware specs are such, but I've noticed it happen on other machines.
Macbook Pro summer 2010 i7 Dual Core 2.66ghz
8 gb ram NVIDIA Geforce 330M 512mb
7200rpm 500gb HD

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Why Does AE take so long to unload?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 3:08:32 pm

If you're trying to use multiprocessing, I wouldn't with only 8 gigs of memory. If you've also tweaked the disk cache settings, I'd restore the defaults.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteriRe: Why Does AE take so long to unload?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 3:42:30 pm

Are you using your system's drive for your media and scratch disks, or are they housed on an external hard drive?

What type of desktop machines are you experiencing this issue in?

Depending on the type of work you're doing, a MacBook Pro just might not be cutting it, especially if you are running other apps in the background, or at the same time. This includes those "hidden" apps that are running as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved