ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best format for rendering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zeke meginskyBest format for rendering?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:37:10 am

I'm confused at what to use as the best format to render to. I'm doing some zooms and animations on photos (simple stuff) and I want the best quality from them possible. They will eventually be put into a FCP project with NTSC DV and rendered with ProRes quality.

I'm reading that a lot of people use Quicktime Animation Codec with high quality (100). I'm also reading though that the Animation codec only supports 8 bits per channel of color resolution. So wouldn't I want something that supports 16 bits per channel? And if so, which one should I use? What is the best and second best and third best for my situation ... thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best format for rendering?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:59:52 am

If you're working in ProRes in FCP, you can render directly to ProRes from After Effects.

I'd recommend skipping DV entirely -- it's heavily compressed and chroma sub-sampled, and there would be noticeable DV artifacts on your graphics.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

zeke meginskyRe: Best format for rendering?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:19:01 am

Oh , I did not know that. I only get to use the program in really small spurts so I'm not familiar with all the settings yet. Thanks,

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Best format for rendering?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:43:23 am

FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:20:29 am

One question though. Will ProRes give me the best quality for my project? Is the Animation codec better or worse than ProRes?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best format for rendering?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:38:43 am

ProRes is very, very good -- it will be perfect for your project.

ProRes is a visually lossless, though slightly mathematically lossy 10-bit 4:2:2 YUV (sic) lightly-compressed codec with no support for alpha channels. Animation is a mathematically lossless 8-bit "4:4:4" RGB format with alpha support.

ProRes is mastering quality, and ProRes a preferred codec for FCP. I'd only choose Animation over ProRes if I had a very good reason (like legacy or broader cross-platform support, or if I needed an alpha channel).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best format for rendering?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 3:12:29 pm

Here's another vote for ProRes 422.

You won't gain anything by going with ProRes HQ except file size, and the only reason to use ProRes 4444 would be for a render containing transparency.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteriRe: Best format for rendering?
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 3:33:20 pm

ProRes 422 is a great format to use. I'd recommend it if it fits into your workflow. Some people have experienced issues with Gamma levels between AE and FCP, but they appear to have been worked out.

If you need an alpha channel, then I'd still recommend Animation. I find the results to be better than other options I've tried. Even though you need to "render" that portion of your timeline in FCP, I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:10:58 pm

Thanks so much for the recommendation, guys. So I'll be rendering in ProRes 422. I hope that gamma thing isn't something that comes up..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]