ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

heavy 3D in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tudor "Ted" Jelescuheavy 3D in AE
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:13:51 pm

Who said AE can't do real 3D animation?
Here's a link to a project that combines FreeForm Pro, Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro, Psunami, Trapcode Horizon and Particular. The challenge was to match the cameras and to make the different pieces work together. I would appreciate your comments.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: heavy 3D in AE
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:56:19 am

Wow, really nicely done!

Obviously the 3D is the hard part here, but the color treatment, morphs, and transitions are all beautifully done, too. The rock in the desert in the opening shot is great, the energy and chrome textures for the swords are clean, and all the particle effects you've used around the 3D objects really tie them into their respective atmospheres.

My constructive criticism: I felt like the camera bumped a little in its move at 5s, and the motion where the swords resolve to their final poses at 35s didn't feel quite as natural as the rest of their motion. The boat's texture struck me as too clean, almost flat -- not as richly detailed as on the ocean or the other models -- so it stuck out a little to me.

I love that while we're all busy convincing someone to skip 3D for his jet and just rely on motion blur to hide the cheat (in this thread [link]), you were quietly animating a jet in 3D in AE. Nice.

I have really enjoyed watching you and Chris push the envelope, showing what's possible in 3D in AE, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks for sharing.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: heavy 3D in AE
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:39:42 am

Nicely done!

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: heavy 3D in AE
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 2:23:15 am

Thanks for the kind words Walter. We aim to please. Stay tuned we will have more to show soon.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: heavy 3D in AE
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:27:37 am

Thanks Walter - I appreciate the feedback, especially the constructive criticism part. And yes, the jet thing is funny...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved