ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera Zoom With Vectors Killing Quality! Can't find solution!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad LundbergCamera Zoom With Vectors Killing Quality! Can't find solution!
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:48:09 pm

I have done a fair amount of digging on creative cow, video copilot, adobe forums, and a few other locations and the answer is still eluding me... that is, if there is an answer. So I will be eternally grateful for any help!

I am more than 10 days into an animation - yes, an animation, I know for a full animated movie After Effects isn't always the best tool but it is all my work will provide - and I have slammed full on into a wall.

I have created all the hundreds of assets in illustrator, each with multiple layers, imported them all into my project and each are in their own comp. There are some basic "draw in" animations inside each individual comp, and then each of those comps is animated into a larger video.

My issue is when I get to the main comp and start using the camera to pan and zoom over the individual assets all the vectors get horribly pixelated upon zooming in.

I have attempted to use the "continuously render" check box but there are a handful of the assets using the pin tool - i.e. continuously render completely destroys the animation. In addition, the quality on the non-pin tool assets is still extremely lacking.

I created all the assets in relation to 1280x720 ratio, and built them according to each other's size to keep a consistent line weight throughout this video and I'm assuming that I have just created all my assets too small...

I am hoping that there is some solution that I have not explored yet that will keep me from having to size all my illustrator documents up and re-importing them all back into after effects (which would be another 4/5 days which we don't have due to deadlines...).

I am using After Effect CS4, Windows 7 Enterprise, Illustrator CS4, 1280x720... and I think that is all the information I can figure out to supply. If you need any more info I'm strapped to my machine and will be able to reply fairly quickly.

I'm a little on the desperate side... not going to lie, so any help would be amazing!

Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Chad

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Camera Zoom With Vectors Killing Quality! Can't find solution!
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 7:51:25 pm

I presume you are referring to the continuously rasterize box and the Puppet Tool.
If you have vectors and the continuously rasterize switch is on, then you should get really sharp graphics regardless of how small the size of the AI objects is. Maybe you are previewing them at a lower resolution and not at 100%?
AE is not happy when you use Puppet Tool on vectors. My suggestion is to pre-render the layers once you position them and work out the rest of the animation, and then use the Puppet Tool for the refined animation on these layers in a different project.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chad LundbergRe: Camera Zoom With Vectors Killing Quality! Can't find solution!
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:04:52 pm

Pre-render and then polish afterwards! Awesome! Thank you so much for the quick response! I've noticed pin tool and vectors don't get along, but this seems like a really viable solution. Thank you again! I'll post back with the results.

Cheers,
Chad

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:40:19 pm

It required a little workflow adjustment but your solution worked great! Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Camera Zoom With Vectors Killing Quality! Can't find solution!
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:09:28 pm

Glad to hear that.
A small observation- it's best to check the "solution" on the post that gives you the answer and not on your reply to it. Makes it easier to find for others.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:14:01 pm

Bollocks... my mistake, the haste of a quick right answer... :/ Thank you again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]