ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Looking for a way to create a certain effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Fairhurst
Looking for a way to create a certain effect
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:53:50 pm

Hi all, I'm relatively new to after effects and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction

The effect I am looking for is in this video (if not then it happens around 2mins 49secs)

the effect I am trying to create is the runes strobing and fading in a pattern on screen for a college project (not the lightning bolt or the shockwave)

I'm hoping someone here can help me out or point me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Looking for a way to create a certain effect
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:35:58 pm

You can do this by simply animating the runes' positions (in 3D) or positions and scales (in 2D), as well as their opacities. Add a little glow [link] and try some different blend modes [link] like Add or Screen.

To connect the runes as done in this sample, you can use the Beam effect [link].

A particle system like Trapcode Particular could be used to simulate the way the runes explode out toward the camera, but if there are only a few of them as in this example, it would be pretty fast to animate by hand.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Amanda Smith
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:49:04 pm

I would set those layers blending mode to "Add" as well, with a little glow effect on it. Should do the trick.
Also, check out Video copilots "Twitch" plugin, if your looking for a strobey glow feel. But you can keyframe it was well to get the same effect, if you don't want to buy "Twitch".

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:10:55 pm

One more thing to add to the advice you've been given- work at 32bit color depth. You will get much more refined glows and feathered transitions.
If you have Trapcode Shine you can use that to create the burning glow look for the runes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]