ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Footages crashing down

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wenom Shiro
Footages crashing down
on Jun 7, 2011 at 7:59:41 am

Hello to all,
I have a problem here with my After Effects CS4 that I can't solve and I could really use some help. The problem is that I was doing a video and after some time After Effects just started randomly crashing, saying that my footage is missing, unsupported or something else. If I load any other project it's fine, but If I load that one it starts braking down again and it really stops all the work. Here is an image of startup when it crashes http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/errorhf.jpg/
Notice that in the left footage bar everything becomes unsupported - white files ,but still works for some time. I can load the missing footage again and it doesn't give any errors, but later on after effects just crashes saying everything is missing.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Footages crashing down
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:20:23 pm

Do you have the latest upgrade to CS4 (it came out after cs5 was released)?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:48:10 pm

fyi, the latest version for cs4 would be v9.0.3.

if your version is up to date, or you are still having problems with it after that, importing that project into a new project (this will bring in all the elements from the original project) and see if you still have problems.

if you are, let us know more about your footage's codecs... there are codecs that cs4 doesn't work well with, like hdv, mpeg-2, h.264... though i haven't seen them cause that type of error before.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Wenom Shiro
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:08:32 pm

Hey Kevin Camp,
everything was already updated to 9.0.3. Tried importing project to another project like you've sed, but that doesn't help. All the footages was rendered in After Effects and has all the same codecs (using Windows Media .wmv render type) so I don't think the codecs might be the problem.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:34:31 pm

[Wenom Shiro] "using Windows Media .wmv render type"

If this is the kind of footage you import into After Effects, this could be your problem. I recommend converting it to a lossless AVI. If you have Quicktime Pro, I recommend using the PNG codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:48:26 pm

i agree with dave... you wouldn't want to use that as a working codec in ae -- that is a codec/format that you want to use for footage that will be brought back into ae.

like dave said, for avi try uncompressed; for quicktime, try lossless animation or png. if there's no alpha channel, photo-jpeg (around 95% quality) is very good and will create smaller file sizes than the other options.

i am curious about one other thing... is you footage on a separate drive...? another issue could be that the drive is going to sleep, or losing connection somehow (like an external cable is loose) as you are working in ae, and that could be leading to this crash.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Wenom Shiro
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:52:16 pm

No, it's on the same drive. But I think that the format is the issue, i've converted the footage which was missing and it got fine.
Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Wenom Shiro
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:57:17 pm

Yes, I have the latest update and it still crashes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]