ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

problem importing SWF files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eliot Dewberryproblem importing SWF files
by on Jun 5, 2011 at 10:17:02 pm

I'm working with a Flash animator on a project right now, basically she creates animated characters in Flash and I bring them into AE to combine them with other motion graphics. However I've been unable to import a single SWF file properly. They always show up in AE as a blank 72x72 still. We've been working around this problem by using image sequences, but everything I've read says After Effects should be able to handle SWFs just fine. Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: problem importing SWF files
by on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:14:55 am

Did you read the caveats in After Effects Help about importing SWF files?

from After Effects Help:
"SWF (continuously rasterized)
Note: SWF files are imported with an alpha channel. Audio is not retained. Interactive content and scripted animation are not retained. Animation defined by keyframes in the main, top-level movie is retained."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

marina zurkowRe: problem importing SWF files
by on Aug 13, 2011 at 6:46:58 am

I am baffled by the same problem. In AFX I get a blank 72 x 72 single frame. The swf file appears/animates fine in flash, and bridge. I have been successfully importing swf files to after effects for years. I did some trouble shooting with Flash's export settings, and no luck.
There is no script, not even movie clips. Just straight animation made up of graphic objects, placed on the stage timeline...
Help! I have not found any information on this. other than this one posting.

Return to posts index

Frederick RossRe: problem importing SWF files
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:12:05 pm

I'm Having this same problem I was working with the flash files fine but I opened the AE file today and all my Flash animation file are 72x72 and 1 frame of black. They were working for the last few days, but not now. Any solutions to this. Im on AE CS5. I just tried to open it in AE CS5.5 and it opened and is reading the flash files fine. Why does it not work it CS5 all the sudden.

Return to posts index

chris forresterRe: problem importing SWF files
by on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:09:36 am

Please check this follow up post regarding your problem

Chris Forrester

Return to posts index

chris forresterRe: problem importing SWF files
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:17:49 pm

Same problem here where I am freelancing. I am on a mac os X lion 10.7.2 Mid 2010 Mac Pro. Using AE CS 5.5 with full updates.

I am having swfs working occasionally and then sometimes when i reopen the aep file I get ALL of my swfs as a 72x72 blank image. nothing has changed with the original swf, once it happen any new swfs I import are also coming in the same.

I end up having to shut down and reopen AE to kind of reset this, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It is becoming really tiresome now.

Did anyone find a solution yet to whats causing this problem?

Thanks in advance

Chris Forrester

Return to posts index

Don DevineRe: problem importing SWF files
by on May 31, 2012 at 5:32:05 pm

I was having a similar problem--I have been working with swf files in After Effects for a long time with no problems, but suddenly they came in as 72x72 black (same as others have reported).

Here is what solved the problem for me:
The swf files that were causing me problems were on an AVID ISIS server. Once I copied the swf to a different drive (any drive...internal HD, Internal RAID, external firewire, etc.--just not the ISIS), then the files imported into After Effects fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved