ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Call Of Duty Style Text Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake SedgeCall Of Duty Style Text Effect
by on Jun 5, 2011 at 7:43:25 pm

Hi! Someone posted something similar in the past but I couldn't work out how to do it myself. Basically I am putting together an action movie that based around intelligence and Russian terrorists so I thought it would be pretty neat if I could make the location titles that introduce the location work in a similar way to some of the Modern Warfare 2 titles. Basically, the text starts of in cyrillic then the letters change to English characters to show what they mean.

Anyone got any ideas on how this could be achieved? I realise I will have to use a text offset but I am unsure how to use it effectively enough. If someone could give me a step-by-step guide it would be highly appreciated. Here is a clip of the kind of text I am talking about:

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Call Of Duty Style Text Effect
by on Jun 5, 2011 at 8:38:08 pm

It could be a combination of several things.
You need to create a transition animation between the characters (Cyrillic to Latin). A fast succession of various letters and symbols, one frame each for 15-20 frames maybe. Distort some of the characters using blur and glow.
You can also animate each letter from the word (you will need to build the text using individual layers for each character) as it starts transforming. Animate rotation in 3d and fade opacity.
So one transition should be something like:
Cyrillic letter starts rotating and fades to 0 > transition animation > Latin letter fades from 0 and rotates into place.
You will need to play with the way you change the letters- start transition at different times and not one after the other but random.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jake SedgeRe: Call Of Duty Style Text Effect
by on Jun 6, 2011 at 4:45:17 pm

Thanks for that! Although I didn't want to replicate the style completely. I actually have a template made up that I was hoping to use by adding text offset but am unsure how to use it accurately enough to ensure that cyrillic characters appear then change to to correct english character.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved