ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Frame rate 25.98?? shot on Nokia N8

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aurora fearnleyFrame rate 25.98?? shot on Nokia N8
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 8:47:35 am

Thank you for any advice you can give to my frame rate problem.

Nokia has asked me to film a short on the N8 mobile phone, which has been a challenge. Now in edit I can see that half the footage is 25 fps and half is 25.98 fps. The camera kept changing iso, frame frame and all sorts without being touched.

As I have sound to synch up I need to convert the 25.98 fps. I don't own AE, can I use cinema tools?

I have a 2 week deadline for delivery so I really appreciate your help on this.

Aurora

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Frame rate 25.98?? shot on Nokia N8
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 12:50:16 pm

[aurora fearnley] "I don't own AE, can I use cinema tools?"

Not owning AE sort of makes this a bizarre question for the After Effects forum, but I'll give it a go.

[aurora fearnley] "Nokia has asked me to film a short on the N8 mobile phone, which has been a challenge. Now in edit I can see that half the footage is 25 fps and half is 25.98 fps. I have sound to synch up I need to convert the 25.98 fps."

Are you sure it's not 23.976 (aka 23.98)? 25.98 is a bizarre frame rate indeed...

If you use Cinema Tools to conform the frame rate to 25 fps, it will alter the running length and throw off your separate sound sync. It might be better to link the audio to the strangely-timed clip and then use Cinema Tools to conform to 25 fps. The pitch will be altered slightly, but the sync would be preserved.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Frame rate 25.98?? shot on Nokia N8
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 5:39:04 pm

[aurora fearnley] "Nokia has asked me to film a short on the N8 mobile phone, which has been a challenge. Now in edit I can see that half the footage is 25 fps and half is 25.98 fps. The camera kept changing iso, frame frame and all sorts without being touched. "

As always, Walter offers sound advice to help you deal with the problem footage. It may very well be just the thing you need to complete the job on time.

However, I have to wonder about those Nokia people.

I am positively floored that they would send you out to shoot without first making sure you had a thorough understanding of how this mobile phone camera worked. I realize the deadline is short, but they left you in something of a lurch.

I wonder if it's time to invoke the old mantra of video post-production people: "You can have it good. You can have it fast. You can have it cheap. Pick any two."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]