ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody WaltersAE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:45:00 pm

Hey guys,

I've create a very large graphic in Photoshop that will be used in AE. The graphic is 11614x7555. I need the graphic this large because I will be doing camera moves in AE to focus on specific parts of the image. The PS document is one layer of graphics and the layer behind is a 3D bevel created via Repousse.

I'm trying to import the PS file as a composition (retaining the layer size) and enabling Photoshop 3D. After I click okay AE attempts to create the composition and then crashes. Any ideas why? Is it just too large? I have the PS file located on an external firewire 800 drive. Is the speed of this too slow?

Thanks,

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Richard HarringtonRe: AE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:44:47 am

Too large.... lower preview quality and try again

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: AE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 4:25:40 pm

If you really need to do a very long zoom in/out on a large image, you can split it up into several smaller images. One scaled down copy of the whole image, and a smaller image of a cutout area. You can parent them together in AE and do your zoom. Given the size of your image, you may want to split it into several images.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/earth_zoom/
Here's a tutorial that uses that technique.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Cody WaltersRe: AE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:09:41 pm

Jon,

This is perfect, thank you. I tried this method and it works great. Funny thing is I've watched this before...it just didn't occur to me to use it here. I had some trouble doing it with the Repousee so I just used a different method to give it a 3D look. Thanks again!

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Markus MischaRe: AE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file
by on Apr 25, 2015 at 8:24:30 pm

they still haven't fixed that bug. i always worked around this by segmenting the image into smaller images or different resolutions - depending on what i needed it for. but it still seemed very cumbersome for something like a simple map-zoom.

so my new workaround: use apple's motion for this specific usecase - it handles huge images just fine.

Return to posts index

tyler chulaRe: AE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 7:00:07 pm

try to submit it in smaller then expand the photo to the size you desire?

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: AE Crashes when importing LARGE Photoshop file
by on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:41:38 am

Load your computer with the maximum amount of RAM it can handle. Use a custom low res preview and cross your fingers! You might also try working with a low-res proxy then replace that proxy when you're done editing and it's time to render out.

LittleBlackBird.net

GraphicsDump.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]