ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael FrantzQuestion about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:17:09 pm

Good afternoon. Quick question or clarification.

I have a movie project that I'm editing in Premiere Pro. As I cut and work through that workflow I right click on a clip and then select Replace with After Effects Composition. I then use AE to do color grading, motion effects, and pretty much everything else.

Once that effort is complete I save it and most things seem to follow back to Premiere on the timeline. I have not rendered anything yet.

I did notice that my Vignette settings did not follow the render down to Premiere so this got me to thinking...

Is this an ok workflow or am I going to lose quality or some functionality (like vignettes) by doing this?

Once a sequence of clips is all edited, etc...then just rendering from the Premiere timeline ...or do I really need to do the rendering in AE?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:23:29 pm

[Michael Frantz] "...I'm editing in Premiere Pro. As I cut and work through that workflow I right click on a clip and then select Replace with After Effects Composition. I then use AE to do color grading, motion effects, and pretty much everything else. "

You're making a LOT more work for yourself that way. I recommend editing a complete scene, and THEN do the AE work.

Besides, you never know when you'll have to cut a shot, lengthen a shot, replace a shot... and by working shot-by-shot in AE, you could get very confused very quickly. It's much easier to make those changes in Premiere, then go do AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael FrantzRe: Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:28:14 pm

Let me clarify a little and then I would love to hear more. What I am doing at this point is I lay out a series of clips into a sequence and do all of the editing/cutting/sizing, clipping and such first. Once the sequence is what I want and flows through for the movie ...then I take the clips and work along the timeline and push up to AE to grade, etc...

I am not rendering anything at all up to this point. Should I render first and then go up to AE? Or continue working the way I am and then render the clip while its up in AE and replace the source on my timeline?

Or can I just work in AE do all of the effects I need and save it...it udpate's in premiere too (or seems too with that one exception) and then do just one render at the end?

I hope that explains better? Thanks for your time on this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:38:37 pm

I'm a Final Cut Pro/AE guy, not too familiar with Premiere, but I'm pretty sure you can import an entire Premiere edit timeline -- such as a completed scene -- into AE, and it comes in as an AE comp. You ought to look into that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:55:09 pm

Ahh yeah I spent the bucks on this software specifically to take advantage of the Adobe workflow and ability to share between the programs. I just want to make sure I am on the right track with my workflow.

It is VERY nice to be able to edit in premiere and then push up to AE do all of the special effects needed, color grade with Color Finesse, and use Magic Bullet for tweaks and such while not once having to render anything until the very end...

If this works as it seems it should my editing workflow time is literally cut in 1/4 of the old Sony Vegas to AE days...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 12:30:11 am

Hey Michael,

This is my preferred way of working. I cut in Premiere Pro and shuffle to and from AE via the Dynamic Link. I only render when absolutely needed and/or at the very end. But Dave is correct, you can open entire PP projects in AE.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2011 at 12:35:55 am

Ahh thanks much.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:25:12 am

Here's an outline of the ways that you can move data between After Effects and Premiere Pro.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Robert OberRe: Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 7:47:28 pm

Here's an outline of the ways that you can move data between After Effects and Premiere Pro.

Is there a link missing?

Thanks,
Robert

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Question about Premiere CS5 to AE CS5 Workflow
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 9:15:01 pm

Oops. I don't know what happened there. Here's the link.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]