ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stereo 3D control of individual layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard LyonsStereo 3D control of individual layers
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:27:37 pm

Hi guys,

Building a 3D animation set of comps in AE 5.5, was wondering if there is any real advantage to using the built in stereo rig as it only controls the left and right eye as whole comps. What I need to do is have 3D control over each element in my scene as I have a mix of 2D and 3D layers - I am writing expressions to link to each different layers but is becoming quite complex (surprise).
Any steerage much appreciated... cheers.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Stereo 3D control of individual layers
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:18:37 pm

so, you have a comp with 3d layers, and you want to view/work with them in stereoscopic 3d....

i think what you might want to try is to create a 3d scene comp (which you have right now) and put that into another comp and select the collapse transformations property for the 3d scene nested comp.

now you'll add a camera and name the comp 'left'.

duplicate the comp and name it 'right'. use an expression to link that camera to the camera in the 'left' comp but offset on the x axis (you'll need to experiment with that value a bit).

now create another comp, add the left and right comps to it. create a new solid and add the 3d glasses effect, setting the options as needed (left view to 'left', right view to 'right', etc). then lock that viewer so you'll always see the stereo composite. double-click the 3d scene comp in the project window to open a viewer for it, then drag the viewer tab to the left, right, top or bottom edge of the viewer panel so you can see both the stereo composite and the 3d scene comp at the same time.

now you should be able to work in the 3d scene and see the stereo composite update.

i have to admit, i've never worked with something like this and there may be a few more things to work out, but i think this basic set up should work and allow you to set up a single scene for updating. if you get into camera manipulation you may need some modification of the camera set up... maybe a control null and a point-of-interest null...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Stereo 3D control of individual layers
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:53:55 pm

Here's a link to an older post that has some great info and a download link for some scripts that ease the Stereo 3d workflow. I have used them successfully.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Richard LyonsRe: Stereo 3D control of individual layers
by on Jun 2, 2011 at 6:34:11 am

Hey guys many thanks for the feedback - thats really helpful, the Cow is a wonderful place! Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved